ActionTec MI424WR and iPod Touch
bdefreese

Hi folks,

This has been driving me nuts since Christmas day and I HOPE someone can help.  My daughter got an iPod Touch and I can connect to the wireless network but all of the apps are intermittent.  I have tried everything so I thought it was the iPod.  However, we were over at a friends house up the street and it works perfectly.

We both have actiontec MI424WR routers however his looks a little different physically but the firmware is the same version and everything.   The only major difference I could see in configuration was that he was using 64-bit WEP and I enabled WPA2 (I was using WEP-128).  However, yesterday I tried taking encryption off entirely and that didn't change anything.

I would just say I have a faulty router but I have 3 laptops and a netbook running through the wireless that worked fine. (And so did the Wii but I haven't re-set it back up since moving to WPA2).

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or thoughts on some setting I am just over-looking? (i.e. MTU or something??).

Thanks!!

Barry

0 Likes
Re: ActionTec MI424WR and iPod Touch
jee111

Same exact problem such that I restored the original settings on the IPod and lost all the apps I added.  The service is very intermittant but ok with laptops.

Are you in NJ?   I thought it was something I did. I guess a call to the support desk is in order.

0 Likes
jee111

Also, when I try to connect to the app store or Itune I get : "Cannot connect - Invalid Argument"

0 Likes
jee111

Found this on the apple site and it worked for me

Good Luck

Re: Cannot connect to Apps Store or internet
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 9:00 AM   in response to: sphillyj

I just got off the phone with Apple support. What they told me was the following:

If I am connecting with my home network, do not use the normal password that I would normally use.

You need use the WEP KEY as the password.

Once you find the WEP KEY then use that in the settings area and reset the number that begins with 169 to the WEP KEY which begins with 192.

Since I am not at home, I will try this evening and let all what the outcome is. If any one else tries this please report back.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Ipod touch is working fine here with the same router. The router is acting as a bridge only and does WEP for wireless, and MOCA for the STBs. All IPs are issued from my router and the WAN port on the Actiontec is disabled. I don't like that router much. Have not had one problem.

0 Likes
bdefreese

Thanks for the replies but I'm not sure what you folks are talking about with the 169. vs. 192. thing?  You are typing the WEP key in an IP address field?

Regardless, it is not a WEP issue.  I started with WEP-128 originally (been using it for a while).  I have switched to WPA2 and have even tried no encryption.  Nothing works.  I haven't specifically disabled the WAN port but I shouldn't need to and the router is my DHCP. (Though I have also tried with a static IP address).

BTW typing a WPA2 key into the iPod is a major PITA!! Smiley Tongue

What do you mean MOCA for STB?

Also, as I stated before my neighbor has the same router model and everything works fine.  Though I think his is the "Actiontec MI424WR" while mine is the "Verzion MI424WR", whatever that means.

Thanks again,

Barry

0 Likes
jee111

The WEP Key is your password

If the initial figures in Ip address says 192 that is ok otherwise change it to 192

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Just got an Ipod touch here too and haven't had any issues at all.  As a matter of fact been streaming Sirius internet radio since the day we got it without issue.

I have my router set up to do WPA with AES.  Works like a champ.  Have you made any other changes to your router?  Maybe reboot the router or  default the router and then make the necessary wireless settings changes.  

Just my 2 cents worth but probably worth only about 1/2 cent.

0 Likes
RIFiosNewbie

Thanks. Had the exact same problem.. i.e. couldn't connect Ipod Touch wirelessly.

It is the WEP Key.

Kudos!!

0 Likes
bdefreese

I fixed mine too.  I disabled the radio on the Actiontec and installed a Linksys WRT54G2.  Works like a charm with the iPod Touch even with WPA2.

0 Likes