ActionTec dropping Wifi Connections
scang
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an actiontec router:

Firmware Version:20.20.8
Model Name:MI424WR-GEN2

Recently, it has begun dropping Wifi connections of all the devices in my home.  I have two TV's, two BlueRay players, and several PC's that are almost always on and several other devices that connect and disconnect during the day (laptops and mobile phones).  

I have two PC's wired to the router and they seem to stay connected, but the Wifi connections all get dropped several times per day.  The router itself maintains a connection to the internet, as I can always go to the wired PC and get out to the internet, never a problem.

This recently started happening, only this week.  I checked for new firmware and there is none.

The only change I made recently was to turn all my device connections into Static DHCP so that printers all would get the same address every time they connected.

0 Likes
Re: ActionTec dropping Wifi Connections
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@scang wrote:

The only change I made recently was to turn all my device connections into Static DHCP so that printers all would get the same address every time they connected.

Did you set a static address for everything and turn off DCHP on the router or (and likely easier to manage) make sure that the static IPs are outside of the Actiontec's DCHP range? If you didn't, some devices might still be connecting via DCHP and causing conflicts. 

Setting the DCHP range on your Actiontec to something like 192.168.6-whatever and then using .1-.5 for you statics is likely your best bet if you didn't.

Re: ActionTec dropping Wifi Connections
scang
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want my laptops, Wii, PC's and phones to all get the same address every time they connect, so I think I want to reserve the first 30 as static.  I will configure this today (Verizon remote support was not helpful in this diagnosis, they just remotely re-set the router).

0 Likes