ActionTec + second router = port forwarding issue
jpml
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having an issue with port forwarding (or maybe routing) across a pair of routers with different subnets. I know just enough about networking to be dangerous, but I can't figure this out. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable here can assist me.

Here's how my network is currently setup:

1) Standard FIOS ActionTec MI424-WR Rev D router, using default 192.168.1.* subnet.

2) Added a second router (D-Link Wireless-N w/ Gigabit Ethernet) using the 192.168.2.* subnet.

3) A patch cable connects an ActionTec LAN port to the D-Link WAN port. 

4) Most of my computers connect to the D-Link router for faster network speeds (desktop PC, NAS, etc.)

5) Both routers are running DHCP and broadcasting different SSIDs. This is so I can have a private network for my personal data (192.168.2.*) and a guest network (192.168.1.*) that friends/family/guests can use. Basically, from the 192.168.2.* network, I can access any network resource on either subnet; the 192.168.1.* network, however, cannot (easily) access the resources on the other subnet. 

6) This setup works perfectly and has met all of my needs so far.

Now, the problem I'm running into:

I purchased a security camera to monitor my home over the internet while away. It is connected to the D-Link router and I can access the camera without issue while on the 192.168.2.* network. Everything works fine locally. However, I cannot access the camera from the internet.  For sake of ease, let's use the following example setup:

Internet IP = 74.1.2.3

Router 1 = 192.168.1.1

Router 2 = 192.168.2.1

Camera = 192.168.2.2

Camera Port = 12345

Accessing the camera locally via http://192.168.2.2:12345 works fine, but accessing it remotely via http://74.1.2.3:12345 does not. I assume a route or port forward needs to be set on Router 1 (the FIOS ActionTec)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Patrick

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ActionTec + second router = port forwarding issue
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You need to create a port forward in each router because you are double NATed.

You didn't specify the WAN IP address of router 2.  It should be a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume the WAN IP address of router 2 is 192.168.1.2.

On router 1, you need the following port forward:

• TCP ANY -> 192.168.1.2 port 12345

On router 2, you need the following port forward:

• TCP ANY -> 192.168.2.2 port 12345

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the ActionTec at the home page (the first page that you see after you log-in) one of the IP Address should be the same IP Address that is in the paragraph as 

There is no standard governing the format of these machine names, so this is not something we can automatically determine for you.

at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#2 If not, please report back that fact.

#3 In the ActionTec go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play OR Advanced -> UPnP (Which ever exist in your router)

#4 If you do not have at least two special computers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off UPnP in the router.

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#5 If you have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use: Do only use one at a time OR are there times when at least two are on?

#6 What is exact model of the (D-Link Wireless-N w/ Gigabit Ethernet) router that you have ??

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You need to create a port forward in each router because you are double NATed.

You didn't specify the WAN IP address of router 2.  It should be a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume the WAN IP address of router 2 is 192.168.1.2.

On router 1, you need the following port forward:

• TCP ANY -> 192.168.1.2 port 12345

On router 2, you need the following port forward:

• TCP ANY -> 192.168.2.2 port 12345
jpml
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply! Here are the answers to your questions:

#1 and #2 - Yes, the IP is correct. I verified that the external IP address on the ActionTec router home page is the same as the one listed in your link, and it also is the one listed in http://www.whatismyip.org.

#3. #4 and #5 - UPnP is on, and yes, I have multiple UPnP devices, including an Xbox, Wii, WD TV HD Live, a NAS with a built in media server, etc. There are times when multiple devices are being used at the same time.

#6 - My mistake, I said the second router was a D-Link, but it is actually a Belkin N750 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router, model #F9K1103 v1 (01C) running the latest firmware (v1.00.46). 

Thanks,

-Patrick

0 Likes
jpml
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Anti-Phish! That was it. I had a port forward on the ActionTec already, but it was pointed to the camera IP itself, not the WAN IP. I didn't have any port forwards on the second router... soon as I straightened it all out, everything worked!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
For future viewers, I will throw this out there. You don't normally want two routers with two port forward rules. The best practice is to give the second router a static ip on the lan of the first router and then put the second router in the dmz of the first router, and then apply port forward uses to the dmz'd router.
Peshko

I had FiOS Internet for over 6 years, and just about a week ago I got TV as well which required me to add Actiontec. Here is the problem. I checked http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077. It has some great information. I use Netgear WNDR3700 as my second router. From the FAQ section and your recommendation I defined the DMZ. Now the question is:

- What ports should I forward so that I can make the Remote DVR, Caller ID, etc to work properly. Right now all of my wireless is handled by the Netgear router and that router has a static IP in the DMZ of the Actiontec. For some reason, iPhone Remote DVR cannot connect to the STB. Pretty much everything else works.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Peshko wrote:

I had FiOS Internet for over 6 years, and just about a week ago I got TV as well which required me to add Actiontec. Here is the problem. I checked http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077. It has some great information. I use Netgear WNDR3700 as my second router. From the FAQ section and your recommendation I defined the DMZ. Now the question is:

- What ports should I forward so that I can make the Remote DVR, Caller ID, etc to work properly. Right now all of my wireless is handled by the Netgear router and that router has a static IP in the DMZ of the Actiontec. For some reason, iPhone Remote DVR cannot connect to the STB. Pretty much everything else works.

Thanks a lot!

Think you would be FAR. FAR better off if you opened a new thread without your question rather than answering to a thread that was marked solved and close nearly a year ago.

0 Likes