Actiontec FIOS router (MI424WR) breaks Apple's Back to My Mac?
Brent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just switched today from cablevision to verizon fios.

Back to My Mac (B2MM) worked fine under cablevision (and Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem) - previous configuration was:

cable-modem -- airport (giving out ip addresses) -- computers

The new configuration is

MI424-WR (fios box with wireless turned off, but giving out ip addresses) -- airport (bridge mode) -- computers

Im running OS X 10.5.6. The fios box is running 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7 (listed as compatible with B2MM on the Apple site).

Ive turned the fios box firewall to minimum security. Under Universal Plug n' Play, I have both boxes checked and "Publish Only the Main WAN Connection".

I have logged out of B2MM and back in again. 

Still no luck connecting to my mother's remote machine. I can see it in Finder, but cannot connect.

Suggestions? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec FIOS router (MI424WR) breaks Apple's Back to My Mac?
Brent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem Resolved 🙂

I spent a good deal of time with "Elvis R." at Apple's Mobile Me support desk.  We tried a number of diagnostics and found that everything was set up correctly.  We tried logging out of MobileMe (again)...still no go.  

What finally worked was to screen share inbound (from the remote managed computer to my local managing computer - something I would never bother with in a normal circumstance).  When that worked, all of the sudden the outbound connections became active (both file sharing and screen sharing).  

All we could figure was that some cache/table finally got updated with the new ISP info. 

View solution in original post

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

If Back to My Mac is not working as expected for you, use the suggestions below if they apply to your situation. 

• If you are using Mac OS X v10.5.3 or later, open the Back to My Mac pane of the MobileMe System Preferences to see if any diagnostic messages are provided to assist you with troubleshooting and resolving the connection issue.
  • Make sure the computer you are trying to connect to is not sleeping.
  • If you are using Internet Sharing, you may need to turn it off. Find out more about Back to My Mac and Internet Sharing compatibility here.
  • Make sure Back to My Mac is enabled on all computers, and that you have met all of the requirements listed above.
  • Update all computers to Mac OS X v10.5.3 or later.
  • If you are using an AirPort Extreme Gigabit Ethernet base station, make sure your firmware is up-to-date (open AirPort Utility 5.3.1 or later).
  • If any of your computers are configured with the same Computer Name, change their Computer names.
  • If two of your computers are configured with the same Local Hostname, change the Local Hostname on one of the two computers (this might be the case if your computers were updated from Mac OS X v10.4).
  • Check your network for a multiple NAT setup, and reconfigure your network as needed.
  • Make sure NAT-PMP or UPnP is enabled (if you are using an AirPort Extreme Gigabit Ethernet base station, click here for information about AirPort Extreme Gigabit Ethernet and NAT PMP).

If you still are unable to reliably use Back to My Mac

Contact MobileMe support

0 Likes
Brent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the detailed response.  B2MM worked fine for a year until I added FIOS...

• If you are using Mac OS X v10.5.3 or later, open the Back to My Mac pane of the MobileMe System Preferences to see if anydiagnostic messages are provided to assist you with troubleshooting and resolving the connection issue.

>> B2MM is green, even after restarting it 

• Make sure the computer you are trying to connect to is not sleeping.

>> it is up, I can see it in Finder, and I can chat with it using iChat

• If you are using Internet Sharing, you may need to turn it off. Find out more about Back to My Mac and Internet Sharing compatibility here.

>> not using it

• Make sure Back to My Mac is enabled on all computers, and that you have met all of the requirements listed above.

>> yep - it is enabled and was working fine until FIOS  

• Update all computers to Mac OS X v10.5.3 or later.

>> all at 10.5.6

>> not using AE gigabit, but all airports involved are up to date

>> I double checked - all are distinct

• If two of your computers are configured with the same Local Hostname, change the Local Hostname on one of the two computers (this might be the case if your computers were updated from Mac OS X v10.4).

>> not an issue

>> not a problem, which is why I turned the airport into a bridge

• Make sure NAT-PMP or UPnP is enabled (if you are using an AirPort Extreme Gigabit Ethernet base station, click here for information about AirPort Extreme Gigabit Ethernet and NAT PMP).

>> I followed the advice I could on how to turn UPnP on for the router - in advanced, under UPnP, check both boxes and selected the "main" option

I guess my next step is MobileMe tech support.

Thanks again! 

0 Likes
Brent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem Resolved 🙂

I spent a good deal of time with "Elvis R." at Apple's Mobile Me support desk.  We tried a number of diagnostics and found that everything was set up correctly.  We tried logging out of MobileMe (again)...still no go.  

What finally worked was to screen share inbound (from the remote managed computer to my local managing computer - something I would never bother with in a normal circumstance).  When that worked, all of the sudden the outbound connections became active (both file sharing and screen sharing).  

All we could figure was that some cache/table finally got updated with the new ISP info.