Actiontec Fios router supplied is terrible
Jeff31572
Enthusiast - Level 1

For 3 week I kept phoning Verizon asking the to justify how my wired download connection was 20 MB/S vs my wireless download  connection of 2-3 MB/S.  Tons of conversation, excuses, statements of no guarantees of speed by Verizon, router replacements etc.  In the end it was the lousy Actiontec router they give you.  Eventually I decided it was the poor wireless capability of the Actiontec router and ran a wired ethernet cable to a second router which I set up as an access point.  After redirecting all my computers to the new Router my wireless speed was 20+ MB/S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  thats what you get with Cheap stuff!

Re: Actiontec Fios router supplied is terrible
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the issues with the ActionTec cover a bit more with the design of the antennas and how the router is configured rather than the hardware itself being cheap. I'm using an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D, which I loaded DD-WRT onto and it has no issue pulling 25Mbps on the Wireless all day, all night. This is of course because I'm running on my own, clear channel, have the router restricted to use Wireless G only, use WPA2-PSK AES and also have enabled some other options in DD-WRT which allow me to keep the throughput constant. These other options include diversity, since the ActionTec does have an Intenal and an External antenna (unless you by chance have a Rev. G!), Short Preamble which controls transmit wait times, transmit powers, rate algorithums, QoS, and options such as Noise Tolerance.

hyperyoda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I put DD-WRT on my Actiontec MI424-WR Revision C and do you have instructions? Also what settings are you using?

Zippster
Enthusiast - Level 2

It also has very limited NAT tables which causes issues when using P2P.  There are whole diagrams how differernt ways to wire around and through it over at DSL reports.

I use my old Linksys WRT with tomato and max over the advertised speeds.  If you have TV also though it limits your choices.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@hyperyoda wrote:

Can I put DD-WRT on my Actiontec MI424-WR Revision C and do you have instructions? Also what settings are you using?

Sort of.  

DD-WRT can be loaded on the GEN1 Actiontecs.  The instructions are on the DDWRT site.

Be aware that if you have FIOS-TV, you will lose guide data, VOD and widgets unless you have a seperate MOCA bridge.

DD-WRT on the Actiontec does not support the Actiontec's MOCA interface.

0 Likes