Actiontec MI424 Rev. G Gigabit Switch???
jmac25

Verizon just sent me a Actiontec MI424 Rev. G to replace and old Rev. D that bit the dust.  Can someone tell me if this router has a gigabit switched since I specifically asked for one.  It does not indicate it on the router.  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424 Rev. G Gigabit Switch???
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the Rev G user manual available online, section B, Specs,  page, 207, it says:

Wired

LAN Ethernet: 10/100/1000 Mbps auto-sensing

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

rev g and i are the only gigabit port routers verizon has.   I think it's indicator is orange flashing lan lights instead of green.   

on the back your lan ports should be labeled 10/100/1000   

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you got was something that does MoCa 1.1, Gigabit and 2x2 single band Wireless N. Pretty lucky that you got one just for asking coming from a Rev. D.

Status lights should be green. When a Gigabit NIC on a computer is used both of the lights on the associated network port should light up (The 100Mbps and 10Mbps one) indicating a 1Gbps connection, as mentioned on the back of the router. Front status lights should still be green and flash when there's activity.

Make sure you run that Rev. G with WPA2 AES Security on the Wireless now! Wireless N clients need that in order to take advantage of the N speeds and enhancements.

0 Likes
jmac25

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router that I am not using.  Would this be a better routher than the Actiontec?  I do not have Fios TV so there is no need for coax.  Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jmac wrote:

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router that I am not using.  Would this be a better routher than the Actiontec?  I do not have Fios TV so there is no need for coax.  Thanks

That router does simultaneous dual band N and has Gigabit ports on it, so if that matters to you then it certainly will be over the ActionTec. I suggest getting an Ethernet connection from the ONT if you're going to use that router. That way you can put the ActionTec in storage as a spare, should your Netgear die or should you call support or get TV or want MoCa connectivity to the rest of the home, and also for lower latency and Gigabit support off the bat if you choose to go with a higher speed package.

0 Likes