Actiontec MI424 WR with gigabyte ethernet router?
jmy2469
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is this router available yet? Would I be able to purchase it?

Re: Actiontec MI424 WR with gigabyte ethernet router?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Unfortunately you can't at this time,  see the FAQ below.  However, that does not stop you from purchasing a Wireless N Gigabit Ethernet Router, and connecting it to your FiOS.  you can follow this guide if you decide to buy one. 

I want the new router model. How do I get one?

There is no known method of requesting a specific model as a replacement. In spite of what you may hear from a CSR on the phone, yours is the next one out the door from the central facility. You get what they ship. It's just another box to them. Don't fall for the line "you can buy one for $139." There still is no guarantee what you will receive. It gets shipped from that same central facility.

You may improve your chances of getting a newer model replacement during an on-site repair visit if the technician replaces from stock on his truck. However, in conversation with one technician locally, it was clear that his inventory was controlled, and he had two types of router models on his truck: new and refurb.

A local FiOS store may have replacement equipment, but it is not certain what items they have in stock. They seem to be TV-centric, allowing users to trade up or down on STBs and DVRs.

Another avenue is to search ebay for a specific router, with all the attendant risk and uncertainty involved in that marketplace.

If the reason you want a new router model is for a specific feature, you should consider the wider variety of equipment that's available to you on the consumer market, and use Verizon-supplied equipment as a bridge to it. See the tradeoffs FAQ here for more options. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

As of 1/11/11, the Westell 9100EM Rev.B is in use in some areas (TX,CA), and Actiontec Rev. F with draft 802.11n is currently used for new installs. A Rev. G with full 802.11n and gigabit ports is currently only available only to accounts ordering 150/35.