Re: Actiontec MI424WR Constantly Resetting Configuration
VikeFan1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is one solution and I am sure that there are quite a few people out there who are networking in this manner.  However, the location of the ONT in my home and the logistics of cabling up, through and accross my 4000 sq/ft home to where my router is makes this a non-alternative for me.

There has to be a solution for my problem and I will continue to beat the bushes until I have it.

I have laid in a firewall filter to simply drop any packets coming in on port 4567 via the Broadband Coax Ethernet connection.  I will see if that has any effect.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR Constantly Resetting Configuration
VikeFan1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

The filter did not work...  At 12:10 AM this morning a reset of the configuration occurred.  I reloaded my configuration file around 7:30 AM and at 8:10 AM it reset the configuration again.  Based on my trials and tribulations this past weekend it appears the reset occurs every eight hours (12:10 AM, 8:10 AM, 4:10 PM).

Looks like I will have to deal with Verizon technical support on this.  Looks like a long day, or two, on the phone.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR Constantly Updating Firmware
VikeFan1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

Found the problem...  It is something I did not expect and it took a bit of log analysis and computer connection elimination to run it down.

It seems like the Actiontec router can be confused to a point that it will reset the configuration back to it's default state.  The following has blown up the configuration file of two separate Actiontec MI424WR routers that I have used one a Rev C and the current Rev D that I have.  Both were/are firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6.

On a Windows XP system connected to the router via a wireless connection:

1. Right click on desktop and select "Properties"

2. Click on the "Desktop" tab

3. Click on the "Customer Desktop..." button

4. Click on the "Web" tab

5. Click on "New..."

6. In the "Location:" box enter <a specific web site that I will not name> and click "OK"

7. Click "OK" when asked to add to active desktop

8. Schedule it to synchronize every hour

9. Keep clicking "OK" until you are back to your desktop

Once the particual web page is synchronized to the computer even if the computer is blocked from the internet with a firewall rule on the router the constant flood of proxy requests from code that was synchronized the computer through the wireless connection to the router puts the router into some form of panicked state that has it reboot itself back in to it's know default state.  This effectively wipes out all firewall rules and settings opening the internet bak up to the computer.

This is common method of running themed web pages on the Active Desktop and appears to be exploitable with some particular web page coding.

Please do not ask me for the unnamed web site URL as I will not give it out to anyone.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR Constantly Updating Firmware
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Please send that URL by IM out to the admins/people who work for verizon, so that they will be aware of the problem (and can make a fix).

Some of them, are as follows:

TheSanchez http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/profile?user.id=2694

Techman28 http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/profile?user.id=2025

or CharlesH http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/profile?user.id=4028