Re: Actiontec MI424WR DLNA Problems
budpaul

I still can't get my denon media server to stream- mine was set to disabled already and toggling it didn't fixi it.  Any other ideas?  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try toggling UPnP support and it's associated "Clean up unused entries" option to see if that makes any difference.

0 Likes
FijiVT

Wow, that fixed it.  I can now airprint from all my apple products.  How simple, too bad I spent half a morning cursing my computer and upsetting my patient wife.

0 Likes
jkeegan86

So not to be a downer or anything, but what are we disabling? Is the IGMP proxy something important, and what performance/function are we losing by disabling it? 

0 Likes
nootherids
Enthusiast - Level 1

@UTDCole wrote:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I called Verizon this evening and they were of no help - "Try sending an email to the address that is listed somewhere on the website" (which even the technical support rep couldn't find). I did, however, find the solution to this problem!

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

That's all it takes! Happy streaming everyone!

WOW !!!!! I don't think UTDCole fully realizes how many hours he has saved so many of us with this information. My laptop wireless has begun taking a crap everytime I stream movies to my 3 DLNA streamers. Plus when it's very heavy on HD video and audio it gets the jitters. So I opted for connecting the laptop dorectly to the router when watching movies but I can only connect one of the three streamers directly to the router as well. I could not understand why it only worked when it was Laptop (Wired) > Streamer (Wired) OR Laptop (Wireless) > Streamer (Wireless). Any other mix of wireless to wired would never work. I finally pinpointed that it must be the router blocking something but could not for the life of me figure out what it could be. Never even thought of the IGMP. I disabled it like suggested and every device could see each other Immediately!!! Oh the number of hours that I spent on this while my wife patiently waited to start the movie and eventually fell asleep (coincidentally I'm not allowed to watch the movie without her so that left me without a movie for the night too FML).

BTW...for the one who asked the value/usefulness of IGMP, it is very valuable in business settings where there is any chance that you might get DoS (Denial of Service) attacks with multicast traffic flodding your network (multicast = random data sent to all devices whether they need it or not instead of to a specific device/IP Address). In a home environment this isn't really a big deal to worry about. I really doubt there are any hackers trying to shut down your home network from the inside. Even then the only real way they could do that is if you don't have ANY protection on your network (Wireless Password / AntiVirus / AntiSpyware / etc).

Thanks again UTDCole! Happy Streaming Everyone!

rabbott1

> Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

A+ UTDCole - thanks a ton!

0 Likes
crazyeights
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ugh, I was so hopeful when I ran across this thread.

Win7 PC with content

Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F

(2) PS3

I've tried setting up the Windows media server and neither PS3 shows up.  Also tried PS3MS, no PS3s detected either.

Tried all various fixes in this thread but not luck. 

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes
crazyeights
Enthusiast - Level 1

Success!!!

I forgot my Ooma VOIP phone (router) was sitting between the pc and fios router connection.  I removed it from the line and all is well.

gary80920

Here are my details.

Configuration:

• Sony BlueRay DVD player connected wirelessly
  • HP laptop connected wirelessly runs XP media center
  • XP desktop running SP3 hard wired
  • ActionTec router, MI424WR, with firmware 40.19.22. Model name is "MI424WR-GEN3I" and is "hardware revision" "I".

Observations

• If the XP system and the Sony are plugged into the ActionTec, the Sony can see the media shared on the XP system.
  • The Sony sees the HP system and shared media without any problems. Both are wirelessly connected.
  • The Sony can ping the XP system.
  • The Sony can view the XP's webserver.
  • If have disabled the firewall on the XP system to no avail.
  • On the ActionTec under the UPnP, I have tried "Publish all WAN connections" to no avail.

The disabling the IGMP proxy did not resolve the problem for me.

Toggling the "IP Address Distribution" aka DHCP did. But, we will see for how long. I made the address assignment static. So we will see. I may have to try giving the DVD player a static address to see if that makes a difference.

So there is still something amiss. I am going to drop ActionTec an email and see what happens.

0 Likes
winpoohnj

YES. Just started 2 days ago. Spoke with technical support for two hours and got nowhere.

I also tried the temporary fix. Turned dhcp on the router off and then on and Magic the dlna devices all appeared again on my mediaplayers. but they disappeared a few minutes after.

So Verizon said they will send me out a new router???

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem. I really do not believe I need a new router but I need this issue solved

To recap. When I am plugged in Wired all DLNA (media servers) are available. When using wireless (which of course is most the the devices in the house). the mediaservers are not available.

Also for you techy's. the mediaservers that are Wireless are available (meaing if windows mediaplayer-server is running on a laptop it can still be seen.

IT is very strange and I would like to know what is going on.

thanks

0 Likes