Re: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 DHCP Fails
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

So... I figured what the snuff... I'll pay the $5.99 on the upgrade.   I figured at the best case I'd have mmy old device as aa COAX enabled AP that I can strip back and back feed some deadzones, worst case I paid $5.99

anyway, took standard shipping, it got here today, the next day! I ordered yesterday morning!!

BUT.... I opened it up and its CLEARLY used!!!  feet show wear and ter, lables were peeled off an put back on, the Serial number label actually has the WEP key printed on it but blacked out with Sharpie!

Its the same revisio I had...  (according to its lable) MI424-WR Rev F

I get reduce, reuse, recycle, but please spend a little on cleaner labels, new feet and have the device appear to be new.

I'm lacking any confidence that this will solve my problem at this point, fingere's crossed!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Whew.  I can understand them sending you a refurbished router, I guess, but a Rev F?  

When you swap routers, take a look at the System Monitoring > Router Status page and see what model number it says there.  Hopefully it'll be MI424WR-GEN3I.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yeah, whatever happened to the term "clean and screen"

But that rev F isn't half bad.  Make sure to use WPA2 AES encryption for your password, as it unlocks the PRE Wireless N MIMO that the Rev F has.

The WEP stays or hangs around 20mb or less wireless, and the rev f N on WPA2 AES will get you close to 65mb over wifi

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1
Still a gen2 device on the router status page
0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1
Ack...should have read instead of trusting in post text

"
Verizon recommends using the strongest network security available (Wi-Fi Protected Access II, or WPA2) to protect your home wireless network and secure your information against unauthorized access. However, if your current router does not support WPA2, Verizon has created a promotional offer to allow you to upgrade to a router capable of supporting WPA2. This reconditioned 802.11g FiOS router supports WPA2 and will allow you to enable the strongest network security available. To receive this WPA2 capable router, select this item and complete the ordering process. 

Warranty:  3 month product limited warranty from date of purchase. (No Buyer Remorse Period)
Technical Support:  All Technical Support for this Product is provided by Verizon to active Verizon FiOS Customers who are eligible for WPA2 router replacement offer..
"
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I guess I was just lucky in that my replacement was a new Rev I unit.

Did the replacement at least fix the DHCP problem you were having?

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Time will tell...  

Given its the exact same device, I may simply call into support to see what they think.   The only difference I've seen in the minor router revision number (don't have them off hand) is that they're now FORCING alpha numeric on the WPA2 password.   It will be a pain in the ankle to change all my devices as well as my guests.   I'll need a wifi cafe sign on the way into my home announcing the change!

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Well.... it was good while it lasted.

the "free" Router started going batty with verying latency and packet loss over wifi 10 feet away by line of sight, I power cycled, now its DOA.   When powered on all lights come on then just a RED power light, no other lights.

that took less than 3 months...

0 Likes