Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I VLAN egress not removing tagging
Bonte

Greetings,

First, let me point out that this question relates to an UNSUPPORTED configuration of the Verizon FiOS Actiontec router. No need to remind me that this is unsupported, I am very well aware of that.  I am by making this post to see if anyone else has validated this issue OR can offer a work-around to this configuration. If anything is unclear, please let me know!

I had the idea a while back after reviewing the extensive capabilities of the Actiontec router to configure a single GigE port on the router to bridge TWO separate VLANs utilizing VLAN tagging (802.1Q). This would allow me to use a single port to bridge the Broadband Coax connection to one VLAN while simultaneously using a second VLAN which would be tagged on this same port but configured as the PVID on the other ethernet ports.

Basically, this allows me to use a single port connected to a pfSense router to accomplish WAN & LAN functionality, saving from having to power on a managed switch OR by using non-VLANs and going with a traditional "dual interface" approach. This is a novelty at best, I am currently bridging using dual interfaces, but I wanted to give this a shot to see if I could get this interesting configuration a go!

The configuration would look something like this:

Switch ports

1 - 3 Untagged VLAN 1 (Tag on ingress, untag on egress) (PVID 1)

4     Tagged VLAN 1 & 2 (Do not tag on ingress, to not untag on egress)

Bridge (WAN)

Ethernet VLAN 2 (Port 4 above)

Broadband Coax (WAN)

In this configuration, VLAN 2 would be tagged exiting port 4 on the switch and go into a router (pfSense etc) that would be set up with its WAN configuration on VLAN 2. This router would also be set up with its LAN connection on VLAN 1 where it would serve out IPs etc and handle NAT/firewall etc.

What I had determined from extensive testing is that no configuration I could come up with would properly UNTAG the tagged traffic when leaving the other ports 1 - 3. When running wireshark and looking at the packets, the traffic tagged as VLAN 1 on port 4 REMAINS tagged when exiting ports 1-3, this is unintentional and causes this configuration to not work.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!

Bonte

0 Likes