Actiontec MI424WR REV A Router and WPA?
bigfootmd
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of weeks ago I decided that as a CISSP that I could no longer rely on WEP to secure my WIRELESS connections at home.  I have the original non-released Actiontec Router from about 3 years ago. I have a netbook, iphones, a laptop and a Samsung blu-ray player with WIF for NETFLIX. 

I find on the net and in this forum that the Rev A. Router doesn't really support WPA encryption.  So, what options do I have?  One would think that Verizon has a more up to date Router and that I could just swap the old for the new?

Other solutions suggest buying a more modern Router (DLINK or whatever) and using a new Router in combination with the old Actiontec (Bridge connection) and let the new Router with better hardware and software support run my WIreless connections and even wired connections. 

I do not want to go back to WEP.  Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciatied.  On Monday I will call Verizon and try to find someone in TECH support that understands ordinary ENGLISH and who can tell me whether or not Verizon will replace my old Router with a new one at no charge.  One posting in this forum from two years ago indicates that at Support told that customer they would have to buy the new Router.

BTW, I use a mixture of Window 7 and Ubuntu 10.  But, of course if I tell TECH support that I use UBUNTU I will probably get the DEER in headlights.

Any sugggestions will be appreciated.  Meanwhile I will search this site and others.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR REV A Router and WPA?
prisaz
Legend

My router was faulty years after the install, and Verizon sent a new one no charge. You must sent the old one back right away or be charged. If you are looking for bulletproof router with a gigabit switch wireless N and better hardware. You could just disable DHCP and WAN ports and run it as a moca bridge behind your router. Though Verizon will not support this configuration it works for me. The remote DVR programming features will not work. But my Linux IP-Cop works fine as the primary with the Actiontec as a wireless and moca bridge. This assumes you have Ethernet from your ONT. To get a replacement router from Verizon, you may need to convince tech support your router has issues.Some of the first generation routers had power supply issues and issues with the remote dvr features. I know that is why mine was replaced.

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

yes, anything except windows will bring the doe eyes (sometimes even win 7), and the break that you report  to get a newer router will be tested, if testable, while you are reporting it.   They still use the MI424WR but they also use a Westell model.  neither ate 'N' series yet.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

neither ARE 'N' series yet

0 Likes