Actiontec MI424WR and XBOX Live
Roymond1

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing this issue since I originally got Verizon FiOS last July, but have been determined to figure it all out since the PSN went down. This will probably be a jumbled mess, but hopefully people can help me out.

Problem Statement

My Xbox 360 when connected to XBOX Live randomly disconnects very frequently. In the process of playing for three hours it could disconnect a dozen times. Sometimes, it will be able to reconnect right away, more often however, it will fail on one of the three connectivity sections (Either Network, meaning I have a "network" issue, Internet, which means I am having some trouble connecting outside my network, or XBOX LIVE, which means that the network can't connect to XBL). The 360 is the only device that has experienced any issues with FiOS. My PS3 can play online for hours on end with no disconnections whatsoever.

Information

Router/Modem: Actiontec MI424WR
Version of Firmware on the router: 20.10.7.5

Internet Speeds:
Down: 20 MB/s
Up: 5 MB/s
Ping Test Jitter: 1ms

The XBOX is connected via ethernet

What I have tried:

• Since the XBox is connected through the ethernet, I have tested the ethernet cord with other devices such as my PS3 and Laptop and even replaced the chord with a known good cord.
  • I've read online that the Ports have to be forwarded to the Xbox, so I assigned a static IP to the Xbox through the FiOS router, and forwarded the ports to it.
  • Since that didn't work, I restored the entire router to it's defaults and told the Xbox to assign an IP automatically, this did not work.
  • I brought my xbox to my parents house, and tried to play on a different network (Charter), and it worked fine.

There has to be something I am missing. Does anyone have a similar set up that can explain to me step by step what they did to get it to work?

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR and XBOX Live
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the exact hardware version of that router?

Roymond1

The Exact Model number of the router is: MI424WR-GEN2

The Hardware version is: F

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Try to play with your XBox.

#2 When it happens again:

a) In the router go to Firewall Settings -> Security Log

b) Is there anything about "NAT Error : connection pool is full. No connection created ?

#2 In the router go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play OR Advanced -> UPnP (Which ever exist in your router)

#3 What is the current setting?

#4 I know you have at least two computers that support UPnP where you can't define the ports that they use (the Xbox and PS3)

#5 I am just wondering, do you have both on at the same time OR only one at at time?

#6 In the router go to Advanced -> Private LAN OR Advanced -> IP Address Distribution (Which ever exist in your router)

#7 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

Roymond1

The Xbox was unable to connect upon start-up.

I tested the connection and everything worked fine, however when I looked at the security log, I saw this:

May 17 18:05:52 2011 || Firewall Setup Configuration change WBM user Unknown (0.0.0.0) has changed security settings

During my time troubleshooting this error list, I have restored the router to it's defaults so when I go to the uPnP, This is the only option checked:

"Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features"

Typically I only have one system on at a time, since they are both on the same TV and both hooked up to the same surround sound.

The Dynamic IP range is: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

Looking at my current settings, I don't have ports forwarded to the xbox or a static IP for the xbox. I have the Xbox set to automatic and nothing on the router telling it what IP address to use. It has a preferred one of 192.168.1.6, but nothing on either device (router or xbox) assigning that IP to it.

In troubleshooting with the Xbox Live Forum they suggested that I restore the system to it's defaults and try to use it then (which didn't work) and I never got around to fixing it.

---Edit:---

I just tried to reconnect again, failed, ran the Connectivity test, it failed in the network stage, went to the security log saw nothing.

If I am supposed to have a static IP both devices to make this work, and someone post a link as to how to do that through the router? I've always been a linksys kid and the interface on this router is quite different.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Change the Starting IP Addess so that it is 192.168.1.100

#2 Turn off UPnP in the router.

#3 On the Xbox and PS3 Setup a Static IP.

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

For example set the Xbox to use 192.168.1.5 and set the PS3 to use 192.168.1.6

#4 In the router forward to the IP Address of the computer (Xbox or PS3) that you want to use.

--

For directions on how to forward:

a) Go to http://portforward.com/

b) Select the router guide that is the closet to what your router screens look like

c) Follow the directions.

While I don't have a computer that supports UPnP where I can't define the ports that it uses OR have the same brand and model of router, if you have any questions please ask. I will try to help you.

XboxGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes