Actiontec MI424WR rev I port forwarding issue.
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Within the last month, all of my wireless security cameras as well as my Directv DVR have stopped responding to remote access. All of the cameras work fine when directly connected to an e-net cable. I have checked all the settings on the router and they have not changed. I then tried to check the ports assigned to the cameras and found that they are all reported as CLOSED by two different internet port checkers. However, these same port checkers report eveything closed on this router., but my browser, email, remote desktop all work ok. Before I tear any more hair out, can some one have pity on an old fart and tell me what I have overlooked????

KentM

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec MI424WR rev I port forwarding issue.
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a session with a VZW tech who in turn brought an Actiontec tech on the line. What we did was to delete all of the current camera rules and reinstall them. Everything now works. ????? 

THe one remaining issue regards the port checkers that show all the well known ports closed. We never came up with an answer to that. But they are not stopping anything from working. One other item regarding the camera ports. If the camera is not on for some reason, then the port will show that it is closed...

@CaptainSTX wrote:

Not that I have an answer for your question but misery always loves company.

The prior firmware update for the Actiontec knocked out the automatic update  using DynamicDNS.

The 10/31 update fixed the problem of updating DynamicDNS  however it seems to have done something to port forwarding. 

Prior to the last two updates of the Actiontec's firmware I used to be able to run an FTP server on a USB drive connected to a router double NATed behind the Actiontec.    I was also able to remotely access certain devices using port forwarding from the Actiontec.   Not working anymore.

Based on your problem I think it is a firmware issue with the Actiontec and there may be nothing that can be done until the next firmware update.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The prior firmware update for the Actiontec knocked out the automatic update  using DynamicDNS.

The 10/31 update fixed the problem of updating DynamicDNS  however it seems to have done something to port forwarding. 

Prior to the last two updates of the Actiontec's firmware I used to be able to run an FTP server on a USB drive connected to a router double NATed behind the Actiontec.    I was also able to remotely access certain devices using port forwarding from the Actiontec.   Not working anymore.

Based on your problem I think it is a firmware issue with the Actiontec and there may be nothing that can be done until the next firmware update.

0 Likes
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a session with a VZW tech who in turn brought an Actiontec tech on the line. What we did was to delete all of the current camera rules and reinstall them. Everything now works. ????? 

THe one remaining issue regards the port checkers that show all the well known ports closed. We never came up with an answer to that. But they are not stopping anything from working. One other item regarding the camera ports. If the camera is not on for some reason, then the port will show that it is closed...

@CaptainSTX wrote:

0 Likes