Actiontec MI424WR rev e randomly drops wireless internet connection
emmelr1972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our 1st Actiontec MI424WR kept losing its internet connection & all settings. The internet connection loss was worse for wireless connections. Verizon sent a replacement, but the problem persists. Only difference is that the 2nd Actiontec MI424WR doesn't lose its settings. Verizon has been contacted for support repeatedly but I'm told either they'll monitor my connection for 48hrs or send another Actiontec MI424WR. I have coax feeding into my Actiontec MI424WR. Is there something better that Verizon could issue to replace this lemon or is there a confirmed way I could bridge this lemon to a Linksys WRT54G which never fails? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR rev e randomly drops wireless internet connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that type of problem doesn't sound like a router issue, but instead sounds like a wireless transmission issue.  you may be able to resolve that fairly easily..  Try to change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1,  user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the part that would point to a router issue, is if you were also losing it on wired connections and/or if you saw the internet light go out, amber or red at any time.   do you ever see or notice that?

0 Likes
emmelr1972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have lost internet connectivity to my wired connections. The problem is mostly experienced by the wirelessly connected devices especially while viewing streaming audio/video or using an instant messenger.

0 Likes
richinvb

Have the same issues.

But my PC is ethernet cabled directly into the Actiontec router.

I switched to FIOS because of all the hoopla about better overall download/upload speeds, clearer digital phone, and the whole TV package.  Satified on all counts except the internet.

I play two games in which I either pay monthly fees or make micro-transactions, I stream media from Netflix and Hulu and other network websites.

I get disconnected while gaming every 10 minutes.  It is almost down to the second.  Verizon sent me a second modem with the updated firmware.  The first time I logged in, I played for 3 hours straight without an issue, the next day it was back to every 10 minutes and has continued for a week.  I changed over and tried my laptop with the same games wirelessly, no difference, it too disconnects every 10 minutes.  I have been disconnected in the middle of a Netflix streaming movie, lost connection while using facebook app games, etc.

The only time it changes and allows me to stay in game longer than 10 minutes without dropping connect and having to restart the game is if I am standing in one of the towns in game doing nothing.  The minute I move out of town and start fighting monsters or whatever, I can count down to the 10 minute disconnect mark.

**** oh and I took my laptop to work and tried the WAP there doing full gaming (not standing around in town) and it let me stay connected for over an hour straight so it is the Verizon connection at home not the computer hardware

Thoughts? 

0 Likes
emmelr1972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke with Verizon tech support who suggested that I chnge the channel used by the router. I chose channel 6 since no one else was using that. After switching, it worked fine for a little over 24hrs, then magically it changed back to channel 11. Yes, I ticked the option to retain my specified channel should the router be powercycled. Verizon claims there's nothing wrong with their equipment but I'm finding numerous reports of people bridging the Actiontec so they can use their own wireless router. If nothing's wrong with the equipment then why bother buying your own gear? I'd also like to know why can't you access the Actiontec's admin page whether you have internet access or not. 192.168.1.1 is a private, internal i.p. address that I can usually access on networking devices whether they're connected to the internet or not. In my opinion, I think Verizon should just provide a working gateway & let the customer opt to use their wireless equipment or buy their own. I have 2 Linksys routers & never have to reset them.......EVER! 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you have those linksys routers still - then get them back in the picture.  

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

0 Likes