Switch Account

Actiontec MI424WR revisions -- which will work and why?

Actiontec MI424WR revisions -- which will work and why?

SOLVED
Contributor quantumburnz
Contributor
Message 1 of 9
(6,785 Views)

I ordered Verizon FiOS tonight, and during the checkout, it told me I needed specifically an Actiontec MI424WR revision I router.  The person I chatted with during the order told me only Rev I would work as well.  Regardless, will other revisions of the router work?  I'm looking on eBay and there are plenty of older revisions that are cheaper.  I'm ok with a Wireless G router since I'm only ordering 15/5 anyway.  If other revisions will not work, what's so special or new about Rev I?

Thanks!

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
MVP Smith6612 MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9
(6,774 Views)

What speed tier did you order for FiOS? The Rev. I specifically has Gigabit ports and features Wireless N that reaches 130Mbps at a maximum.

Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Message 3 of 9
(6,770 Views)

@quantumburnz wrote:

I ordered Verizon FiOS tonight, and during the checkout, it told me I needed specifically an Actiontec MI424WR revision I router.  The person I chatted with during the order told me only Rev I would work as well.  Regardless, will other revisions of the router work?  I'm looking on eBay and there are plenty of older revisions that are cheaper.  I'm ok with a Wireless G router since I'm only ordering 15/5 anyway.  If other revisions will not work, what's so special or new about Rev I?

Thanks!

Chris

The Rev I is needed if you are getting the new media server. If you are getting a standard dvr/stb then you can use any router you want. I take it you are getting the media server since they are saying you have to have the rev. i. rev i supports moca 2.0 which is why its needed.

Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 4 of 9
(6,759 Views)

If you ordered Quantum TV you need the Rev. I otherwise  you can buy whatever revision you like.

Contributor quantumburnz
Contributor
Message 5 of 9
(6,743 Views)

I'm getting internet only, 15 down and 5 up, no TV.

So any revision will work then?  Rev D, F, etc.?

Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 6 of 9
(6,734 Views)

@quantumburnz wrote:

I'm getting internet only, 15 down and 5 up, no TV.

So any revision will work then?  Rev D, F, etc.?

Yes

Contributor quantumburnz
Contributor
Message 7 of 9
(6,730 Views)

Thank you -- ordering Rev D then! Smiley Happy

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 8 of 9
(6,725 Views)

@quantumburnz wrote:

Thank you -- ordering Rev D then! Smiley Happy

Any will work, but you really don't want one of the older ones, if you have a choice.  Wireless G  support in all routers before Ver F, 10/100 baud wired connection but not gigabit in routers before Ver G.  Small memory that causing problems in Ver d (worse in earlier) better in E, fairly adequate in ver F, G and I.

Also if you are not using TV you can ask to have the service setup with Ethernet privisioning, and then run a Cat 5/6 ethernet wire from the ONT to almost any brand router.  You can definitely fine better routers then the Actiontecs for a decent price.

Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 9 of 9
(6,715 Views)

TNS made a good point. If you can afford the F I'd go for that one just because, but rev. D still should be ok. If you are going to go hard wired then I wouldnt worry about anything.

I was using the very old Westell g band routers for the longest time before I upgraded myself and it worked great for me.

Never used any of the actiontecs before rev. i though so  I cant speak personally on them.

What I would do if you are still going to get rev. d is find someone who offers a 14 day return window that way if it doesnt work out you arent out of money.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.