Re: Actiontec MoCA adapter issues with Fios Internet
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also make sure to cap off or terminate any unused ports on the splitters you have.  if they are uncapped or unterminated - it causes leakage and that could be where your signal is going. 

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

also make sure to cap off or terminate any unused ports on the splitters you have.  if they are uncapped or unterminated - it causes leakage and that could be where your signal is going. 

I'm not using the ECB's internal splitter out to the STB.   I'm splitting the coax coming out of the wall at that point with a new bi-directional 2–way splitter: one cable goes to the ECB and one to the STB.   

I don't have any unused ports on any splitters.   The splitter attached to the main cable coming from the ONT has all 4 ports out used. 

I opened the customer accessible part of the ONT just to make sure the main cable was tightened.   It was a little loose but tightening it had no effect on my issue.   All of the indicator lights on the ONT looked OK,  except the MoCA light didn't look to be on at all,  though we are getting TV and internet access normally upstairs. We had upgraded to higher internet speeds a few months back and Verizon switched us to a new router.   I wasn't home when they did the install,  but something appears to have changed about how the router gets an internet connection. The router has both a coax connection and an ethernet connection,  but there doesn't appear to be a live coax connection hooked up to it anywhere.   It looks to have only an ethernet connection coming directly from the ONT.   Does that make sense?   

I'm at a loss here.   I think I have everything connected properly,  but there appears to be something messed up with my setup. 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

dwboston wrote

All of the indicator lights on the ONT looked OK,  except the MoCA light didn't look to be on at all,  

That would be normal if you were switched to a cat5 WAN connection when you upgraded your internet speed.

cat5 WAN connections are required for speed tiers over 100Mbps.

The router has both a coax connection and an ethernet connection,  but there doesn't appear to be a live coax connection hooked up to it anywhere.   It looks to have only an ethernet connection coming directly from the ONT.   Does that make sense?   

Are you saying the coax is not connected to the router at all?

If that is the case you would not be getting guide data or VOD on your STBs.

That would also explain not getting an internet connection from your MOCA adapter.

dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

dwboston wrote

All of the indicator lights on the ONT looked OK,  except the MoCA light didn't look to be on at all,  

That would be normal if you were switched to a cat5 WAN connection when you upgraded your internet speed.

cat5 WAN connections are required for speed tiers over 100Mbps.

The router has both a coax connection and an ethernet connection,  but there doesn't appear to be a live coax connection hooked up to it anywhere.   It looks to have only an ethernet connection coming directly from the ONT.   Does that make sense?   

Are you saying the coax is not connected to the router at all?

If that is the case you would not be getting guide data or VOD on your STBs.

That would also explain not getting an internet connection from your MOCA adapter.

There is coax connected to the router,  but I don't see where that coax connection is coming from (i. e.  it's not one of the coax connections coming out of the main splitter connected to the ONT).   

I think I have an idea what might be going on here.   When the electrician doing the work our basement was finishing up on Sunday, the last thing we did was hook up the two additional coax outlets in the basement.   All four ports on the splitter were full prior to this.   We no longer needed one upstairs in my wife's office,  so we disconnected one on the splitter.   I disconnected one,  and since we still had internet access upstairs,  I assumed it was the one for the office.   It seems now it was the one for the router.   It also makes sense that, I was only ever able to get the ECBs internet connection to work when it was the only thing connected to the ONT.   I'll have to reconnect everything and test this out.   Unfortunately I'm traveling this week so I can't do this until Monday.   Thanks to everyone for your help with this. 

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just to follow up on this, I reconnected everything and made sure the router had an active coax connection.  i checked the DVR and STBs and made sure we had guide data and VOD available on each.  I then hooked up the MoCA adapter and got an internet connection immediately.  Thanks to everyone for their help with this.

0 Likes