Actiontec Rev D not handing out proper DNS servers via DHCP
BenConrad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Firmware Version:    4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3
Model Name:    MI424-WR
Hardware Version:    D

I've got the  "Network (Home/Office)" setup to use DHCP, DHCP is available and working for wired and wireless clients on my network.  DHCP is working OK. what is not working OK is that the DHCP server is not sending the specific Primary and Secondary DNS server addresses I've provided to the wired / wireless DHCP clients.  I've specified 10.1.1.15 (my Active Directory DNS server) and 4.2.2.1 (Level 3 DNS).  Neither DNS server is sent to the DHCP client 

The DNS server that I get via DHCP is the IP address of the router, this allows clients to access the Internet but my interal network using Active Directory is not working properly.  I know I can set DNS on the clients manually but that messes up certain systems (like our laptops) tha need to move between work and home.  Wireshark confirms that Option 6 is coming back as the IP of the DHCP server for DNS.

Is there a bug in the DHCP server with my router?   Again, I know I can set DNS manually but I should not have to and it breaks my network. Am I not setting the DNS servers for DHCP in the proper place?

Ben

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Rev D not handing out proper DNS servers via DHCP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Which router is yours?

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WRv2/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

?

#2 You went to Network Connections -> Network (Home/Office)?

-

As need be, show a screen shot of your router's screen(s)..
0 Likes
brcfios

fyi, I can no longer log into my BenConrad account, anyway....

based on the screen shots in the 2nd link I'd say I have a  MI-424-WRv2.

I don't see an option to upload an attachment, I'll describe the page I'm at:

I'm navigating to My Network >  Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Edit > Settings

DNS Server: Use the following DNS server addresses

Primary DNS: 10.1.1.15

Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.1

IP Address Distribution: DHCP Server

Start IP: 10.1.1.200

End IP: 10.1.1.220

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Wins: blank

Lease time: 1440 minutes

0 Likes
brcfios

I think I see what's happening.  It seems the routers DHCP daemon will always give you the gateway IP as the DNS server.  When performing a DNS query your resolver will

1) check with the only DNS server it has (the router).  The router then checks with the first DNS server that I set in the config mentioned in my previous post.  The DNS server responds back to the router and the router then responds to my resolver. 

So this works for ethernet, I'm gonig to have to try it for wireless.  i don't think wireless was working properly the last time I tred to resolve DNS.

Ben

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@brcfios wrote:

I don't see an option to upload an attachment, I'll describe the page I'm at

If you wanted to upload, use a third party hosting service like http://tinypic.com/

0 Likes