Actiontec Rev E and Bridging
Celestil

I can fully understand the reasons why Verizon does not support bridging but considering the type of hardware they use for the router they should at least document the process if someone wishes to do so. I have been attempting to bridge my Actiontec Rev E router and while I can see the router get an IP from my router, my DLINK 855 has not gotten an IP from the ONT.

I have been reading the messages from the dslreports forum but have been unsuccessful. In addition, all of them deal with using the Rev D version of this router and in fact, they state the REV E router may not even work properly in this configuration.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to bridge the Actiontec Rev E and have all devices get IPs from my router while my router gets the WAN IP from the ONT using this revision of the router.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Rev E and Bridging
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Did you try the ActionTec manufacturer's website?  They have a nice user's guide, .pdf.
Re: Actiontec Rev E and Bridging
toolshed
Enthusiast - Level 1

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.
My setup DIR-825 router

ActionTec LanPort 1 to DIR-825 WAN,  DIR-825 Port 1 to ActionTec WAN.

1.    Hardware Reset Router
2.    Top Menu - Advanced  - Restore Defaults
3.    Top Menu – Advanced – System Setting – Disable Auto Wan Detection - Apply
4.    Top Menu – Wireless Settings – Side Menu – Basic Security Settings – Wireless Off – Apply
5.    Top Menu – Firewall Settings – Side Menu – General – Minimum – Apply
6.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Advanced
7.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Coax) - Settings - Release – Apply
        a.    If address is not released properly you might have to wait 2 hours to retrieve another IP address from Verizon
8.    Broadband(Coax) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
9.    Broadband(Coax)- Settings  – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
10.    Broadband (Coax) - Settings  – IP Address – No IP Address - Apply
11.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Network (Home/Office) - Settings  – IP Distribution Disable – Apply
12.    Network (Home/Office) - Settings  – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
13.    Network(Home/Office) - Settings  – Internet Protocol – Use the following IP Address –Apply
14.    Network(Home/Office) - Settings  – IP Address – Set to 192.168.x.1 where x is not used on your LAN – Apply
        a.    If  you have changed the IP here you should change the properties of the network adapter attached to the Actiontec to have an  IP assigned on the Actiontec LAN… i.e if setting was 192.168.5.1 , the IP of the computers wired network adapter could be 192.168.5.3  
15.    Network(Home/Office) – Settings  – Uncheck Box to Left of Coax – Apply
16.     Network(Home/Office) – Settings  – Uncheck Box to Left of Wireless – Apply
17.    Network(Home/Office) - Settings  – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Coax) – Apply
18.    Network(Home/Office) - Settings  – Check STP Box to Right of Broadband(Coax) –Apply
19.    Network(Home/Office) - Settings  – Network – Broadband Connection -Apply
20.    Top Menu – Advanced – MAC Cloning – Set Mac of Device – Broadband(Coax) –
        a.    Set the WAN MAC of the router to the MAC address listed here, write this down for now if you can’t do this now. 
        b.    Set the Address here to the WAN MAC of the router that will be connected to the Actiontec to avoid conflicts

After the Above steps you should be able to reboot the Actiontec by turning off the power and run a cable from the LAN 1 port of the Actiontec to the WAN port of the desired router.  The desired router should also be rebooted.  After this step the desired router should be able to DHCP an address from Verizon…. If not there is a problem… Do not go further.

To Enable VOD, widgets, etc

Make sure Coax is no longer tabbed underneath Network(Home/Office)

1.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Coax - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
2.    Coax- Settings  – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
3.    Coax - Settings  – IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
4.    Coax - Settings  – Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
5.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Ethernet) - Settings – Network – Network(Home/Office) – Apply
6.    Broadband  (Ethernet) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
7.    Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
8.    Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
9.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Add – Network Bridging – Next – Add A New Bridge – Next – Select the Coax and Broadband (Ethernet) Checkboxes -  Edit the New Connection – Finish
10.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Bridge – Settings - Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
11.    Bridge – Settings – Internet Protocol – Obtain IP address automatically – Apply
12.    Bridge – Settings – DNS server – Obtain DNS automatically –apply
13.    Bridge – Settings – IP Address Distribution – DHCP relay -Apply
14.    Bridge – Settings – Routing – NAPT - Apply
15.    Bridge – Settings – Select Route - Apply
16.    Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Coax (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Coax – Apply
17.    Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Ethernet)  (if not already checked)  Check STP box to right of Broadband(Ethernet)   - Apply
18.    Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband (Ethernet) – Enable
        a.    This must be re-enabled if the router loses power

Run a cable from the LAN port of the desired router to the WAN port of the Actiontec

Remove and Reconnect Power to the STBs they should now be pulling IP addresses from the desired router 

0 Likes