Actiontec Router Control Panel Login Issues
raim1312

I am having issues logging into the Control Panel for my Verizon Fios Actiontec router. Once I set a username and password after roughly two days it stops working.

I was told that Verizon runs updates to the router which deletes all settings on the router. I find this hard to believe because my network is still named what I named it and the MAC address filtering I enabled still blocks PC's that are not on the whitelist. If this is true what does it reset the Control Panel credentials to? I've tried the admin and password or password1 combo without luck. I've also tried the same information I use to log into MyVerizon without any luck.I am aware that for every character I type three appear. I've found many posts about this and this is NOT what I'm asking about.

I've tried accessing it from multiple PC's without a resolution. I've tried it in IE8, IE6, and Firefox 3.5 all with the same outcome. I know I'm typing my password in correctly. I've also reset the router back to defaults and reset the username and password. This allows me to make the changes I need but its a lengthier process and I have to configure all the setting I previously had.

I've contacted Verizon Tech Support and their response is simply they do not support custom settings on their router. Still confuses me that they force you to use their router but they don't support something as simple as logging into it.

Has anyone come across the same problem or has anyone found a resolution?

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Router Control Panel Login Issues
prisaz
Legend

@raim1312 wrote:

I am having issues logging into the Control Panel for my Verizon Fios Actiontec router. Once I set a username and password after roughly two days it stops working.

I was told that Verizon runs updates to the router which deletes all settings on the router. I find this hard to believe because my network is still named what I named it and the MAC address filtering I enabled still blocks PC's that are not on the whitelist. If this is true what does it reset the Control Panel credentials to? I've tried the admin and password or password1 combo without luck. I've also tried the same information I use to log into MyVerizon without any luck.I am aware that for every character I type three appear. I've found many posts about this and this is NOT what I'm asking about.

I've tried accessing it from multiple PC's without a resolution. I've tried it in IE8, IE6, and Firefox 3.5 all with the same outcome. I know I'm typing my password in correctly. I've also reset the router back to defaults and reset the username and password. This allows me to make the changes I need but its a lengthier process and I have to configure all the setting I previously had.

I've contacted Verizon Tech Support and their response is simply they do not support custom settings on their router. Still confuses me that they force you to use their router but they don't support something as simple as logging into it.

Has anyone come across the same problem or has anyone found a resolution?

I have not heard of accounts being reset to something that is not standard. If it is not admin and password or password1, then it should stay at what ever you set it at. Reset the password to something other then password or password1, next time you set it up. Someone could be connecting to it through your wireless and then changing your settings. Other users on your network could have the same default password information, and change the the setting to allow them access.

When you changed settings on your router, did you select allow remote admin or connections?

If you did, it could be someone high jacking your router. If you have wireless turned on and have someone hijacking your connection, they could be logging onto your router and changing things. Do you have security set up on your wireless access settings?

Since you have been having trouble with your setting constantly being messed up or lost, ask for a replacement router as an exchange. It is true they can not support custom configurations, but the router should not need to be constantly reset to factory and reconfigured.

0 Likes
raim1312

Whenever I reset the login credentials I change the username and password to something not default. I do not allow any remote connections to the router unless those are enabled by default. The only settings I change are port forwarding, static IP's, wireless ESSID and broadcast, wireless encryption, and MAC filtering. Out of all the other computers that are allowed on the network (I use MAC filtering) the people who use those PC's do not know the username or password on the router nor do they know how to access it.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@raim1312 wrote:

Whenever I reset the login credentials I change the username and password to something not default. I do not allow any remote connections to the router unless those are enabled by default. The only settings I change are port forwarding, static IP's, wireless ESSID and broadcast, wireless encryption, and MAC filtering. Out of all the other computers that are allowed on the network (I use MAC filtering) the people who use those PC's do not know the username or password on the router nor do they know how to access it.

Then I would demand a replacement router. It sounds like you have things set up tightly. But I had to ask those questions. There is no reason your router account settings should be changing.

raim1312

Verizon is shipping out a new router. According to them it will take 2 business days to arrive. They also stated they do not support the router. They only support "the internet connection itself". Verizon so far has been anything but helpful.

Anyway, I'll let you know if the replacement worked.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm, I think I know what to do.

#1 Disable automatic updates in the router.

#2 And block port 4567.

For blocking that port I point to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23493578-

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@raim1312 wrote:

Verizon is shipping out a new router. According to them it will take 2 business days to arrive. They also stated they do not support the router. They only support "the internet connection itself". Verizon so far has been anything but helpful.

Anyway, I'll let you know if the replacement worked.

First I have heard of them not supporting a router they supplied. If the router is not working properly and they supplied it, they should replace it. They will not support a router they did not supply. If they are sending a replacement, you will need to send the old one back. They should supply you with a RMA so you can have UPS return it to them no charge. Re sure to get or record the return tracking number as proof of where the router went when you send it back.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@dslr595148 wrote:

Hmm, I think I know what to do.

#1 Disable automatic updates in the router.

#2 And block port 4567.

For blocking that port I point to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23493578-

Good idea, but I have not heard of them pushing updates continuously for a while. Unless the router is not loading the update and it keeps trying. I don't feel I should have to block Verizon, so I block everyone. I use my own router as primary. To many Verizon accessable holes for my taste. If Verizon can get in, who is to say others can't hack their way in. I don't like back doors, and I don't think 4567 is the only one. I had a VZ tech walk his way right into my router and do bad things on my network and I had everything blocked. Their CPE Manager can do wonderful things with their firmware loaded in the router. I have seen it first hand, when a tech forwarded ports to my PC he said he thought had the Media Manager loaded on it. I pulled the plug on him and told him a thing or two.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

To many Verizon accessable holes for my taste. If Verizon can get in, who is to say others can't hack their way in. I don't like back doors, and I don't think 4567 is the only one.

I have a strange feeling that you are right.

and some of these routers have a small/tiny NAT table.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

#1 Possbile Back door(s),

#2 Small/Tiny NAT Table.

@prisaz wrote:

I had a VZ tech walk his way right into my router and do bad things on my network and I had everything blocked. Their CPE Manager can do wonderful things with their firmware loaded in the router. I have seen it first hand, when a tech forwarded ports to my PC he said he thought had the Media Manager loaded on it. I pulled the plug on him and told him a thing or two.

*** Beep***, and enough is enough!

To OP (person who started this thread), consider using your own router.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

^^