Actiontec Router Flaws
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

I understand why we are using this modem/router, but the more I use it, the more I dislike the features.  Verizon does not support Port Forwarding, but some items you add to your system, need a port open.  If you assign a static IP , then, the Actiontec does not give your item a host name.  It used to do this a while ago.  My other router, let me open ports and anything hooked up to it would gain access to that port.  The Actiontec doesn't.  The Actiontec works for basic functions, but if you want to specify your network, it has lots of flaws and drawbacks.  Actiontec will not respond to you, and Verizon won't get involved.  I have suggested that maybe in the future, the firmware could be updated to make the router more user friendly, but it seems that no one cares.

I would like a see a new router where you can have more options, have host names on your connections, and don't need to have static ips to make things work.....Steve

Re: Actiontec Router Flaws
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have had great luck communicating to actiontec through their contact us link.   I called them once and they turned me back to verizon real fast.  but the chat support is free and they respond in detail and pretty quickly too.  

Try that 

EMAIL support via the "Technical Support Request Form" below is available to ALL products, and is always FREE.

http://support.actiontec.com/email_support/support_form.php

Worst case scenario, just pick up a N router, with gigabit ports, give it a static ip and put it in the actiontec DMZ (that way the actiontec has no control over it) and then set up all your port forwarding and triggers there.  

I have more of a problem with the hardware, than I do the software.   

0 Likes
More on Actiontec Router Flaws
airchamberCom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just purchased a Kodak printer which was advertised as having wireless printing. In setting it up, it turns out that an error message explicitly lists the Verizon actiontek router as a problem. The Actiontek router also does not support the multicast protocol. The Actiontek web site indicates that Verizon will implement a  firmware fix and will download it in the future(right).

Bill

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Stevef3NJ wrote:

I understand why we are using this modem/router

First off, it is not a modem.  It is a MOCA capable router.

@Stevef3NJ wrote:
Verizon does not support Port Forwarding,

Do you mean that tech support won't help you with port forwarding, or that the router does not support port forwarding.

The Actiontec absolutely does support port forwarding.

What are you trying to forward?

@Stevef3NJ wrote:
If you assign a static IP , then, the Actiontec does not give your item a host name. 

You do have the ability to assign a host name.

Go to Advanced; DNS Server; Add DNS Entry

0 Likes
Re: More on Actiontec Router Flaws
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@airchamberCom wrote:

I just purchased a Kodak printer which was advertised as having wireless printing. In setting it up, it turns out that an error message explicitly lists the Verizon actiontek router as a problem. The Actiontek router also does not support the multicast protocol. The Actiontek web site indicates that Verizon will implement a  firmware fix and will download it in the future(right).

Bill

Verizon DOES install firmware upgrades to their routers regularly. It's done in the background and unless you run your connection maxed 24/7, you usually won't notice the router rebooting to apply the update.

Often times connectivity issues with the FiOS routers is solved by changing the security settings on the ActionTec's Wireless from WEP security to something newer, such as WPA2 or WPA.

0 Likes
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

I use MIRC.  Since I have a static IP, because of my port forwarding settings, it can never resolve the host.  I did as you said in the DHC and name the host, but it still can't find it.  I did a CMD...hostname, and it gave me the info, which I put in the DHC server.  I would like if you could just have open ports that any device can access without using a ip static address.  If I don't use one, then the Actiontec matches the device with the router, and connection is flawless.  I know with my old linksys router, I was able to have ports open that any device could access.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Stevef3NJ wrote:

Since I have a static IP, because of my port forwarding settings

I assume you're referring to a LAN side static IP and not a WAN side static IP which requires a business account.

I'm still not clear if you're referring to a true static IP address set at the device, or a DHCP reservation which assigns a predetermined IP address based on a device's MAC address.

I'm guessing that you're setting the static IP address at the device (e.g. TCP/IP properties).  If so, the router never gets involved in IP address assignment and has no knowledge of the host's name.  If this is the case, you should look at using DHCP reservations instead.  This allows a predetermined IP address and host name to be assigned to each device.

• Click on the Advanced icon
  • Click on IP Address Distribution
  • Click on Connection List
  • If the device appears in the list, make a note of the MAC address, then click on the Delete icon on the right.
  • Click on New Static Connection
  • Enter desired host name, the desired IP address and MAC address of the device
  • Click Apply

Be sure the device is set to obtain it's IP address automatically, then do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW.  It should receive the assigned IP address.

@Stevef3NJ wrote:
 I would like if you could just have open ports that any device can access without using a ip static address.  

Port forwarding doesn't work that way.  Consider a connection request arrives at the router on port 8000.  How is the router supposed to know where to forward it?  You can't have multiple forwarding rules for port 8000 because you can't forward the same connection request to multiple places.  Devices inside your network don't "access" forwarded ports.  The router forwards incoming packets to the device specified in the port forwarding rule.

0 Likes
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you so much for your input Anti.  I do assign my devices to a specific IP so that I can port forward.  For instance, my desktop is assinged to 192.168.1.5, and all my port forwardings are directed to that IP for this machine.  I don't quite understand what you advised about the host, but I will look at it.  Again, I appreciate all your input...Steve

Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

By the way, my devices were not listed in the DHCP connection list.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Stevef3NJ wrote:

I don't quite understand what you advised about the host

I'm not sure what is unclear.  The only reference I made to "host" was the "host name" in a DHCP reservation.

In your OP you had expressed a concern about creating port forwards by host name rather than IP address.

@Stevef3NJ wrote:
my devices were not listed in the DHCP connection list.

The fact that your devices with static IP addresses don't show up in the connection list indicates the router has never issued a DHCP lease for the device.  This is what I meant above when I stated the router does not get involved when you set the IP address at the device.

A DHCP reservation allows you to accomplish the same thing, but have the router aware of the device and it's address. 

Consider if your PC was a laptop rather than a desktop.  If you assign it a static IP, you have to change the setting if you use it elsewhere.  By using a DHCP reservation and setting the PC to obtain it's IP address from the router automatically, it will get the address you want it to have on your home network, but also pick up an address automatically when you use it elsewhere.