Actiontec Security Break?
neela1

I have recently had someone hack into my machine sitting behind a verizon actiontec firewall.

At this time, I found that the person gave himself a lot of outgoing and incoming permissions on the router firewall. I then changed passwords on the router, removed the permissions and switched on the machine, without actually cleaning the machine. Promptly, I found the router broken into again. Telnet and remote adminstration are disabled. How could this happen that a strong router password can be broken into in less than 5 minutes of exposure to an infected machine inside the firewall? Do these routers have backdoors? How do I enable maximum security on these routers, and allow outgoing connections to be  only http? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec Security Break?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely you have an infected computer which is submitting UPnP requests.   Turn UPnP off on the router which will prevent it from "trusting" computers on the local network to tell it what port mappings to define and then get a good scanner to check out your computer (like Malwarebytes).

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely you have an infected computer which is submitting UPnP requests.   Turn UPnP off on the router which will prevent it from "trusting" computers on the local network to tell it what port mappings to define and then get a good scanner to check out your computer (like Malwarebytes).

neela1

Thanks. I will try that.

0 Likes