Actiontec VS Westel router
Georgesc
I was having speed issues so they sent me a new Westel 9100em router to replace the actiontec that I had. In the meantime, I was able to fix the issues by resetting the router. From what I can tell, the new router doesn't have many more features like 1gb ethernet ports of wireless N. Is it worth the hassle to swap them out?
0 Likes
Re: Actiontec VS Westel router
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The Westell has a bigger NAT table and shouldn't lock up like the ActionTec does. The Westell also has a newer chip set in it. I would switch.
0 Likes
Georgesc

Thx, I've already set it up (WPA and port forwarding) so I'll swap it tonight. I have to call and have it ativated.

Question, any idea when a router will be available that supports wireless N or 1GB ethernet?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I believe Wireless N is still a draft and hasn't received final approval yet. The 1GB ethernet is not needed because there isn't too many things that support it yet.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
1GB on the ethernet side would be nice if you wanted to do file sharing between PCs. I needed to use a GB switch plugged into the VZ router. It is used if you like to move large files or many between computers in your house.
0 Likes
rudemaniac

Found this sometime ago on DSL Reports:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-To-Offer-New-FiOS-Home-Gateways-96314

Only thing is that if you want one you need to buy it.  They won't upgrade if you have a older one.  That is bad, I want the new features!

0 Likes
Georgesc

The article states (below) that the current limit for devices in the home is 7. Is this true? I have more then 7, though not all usually running at the same time. Wondering if this might be the reason for some speed problems I've had.

Also, an update, I did switch my router to westel, worked for about 5 minutes till I unplugged it and plugged it back in to another outlet, crashed and burned!!! Waiting for another now.

Verizon uses MOCA for in-home networking because it's cheaper than running Cat-5 through subscriber homes. The support of this latest MOCA 1.1 standard not only boosts the maximum throughput of the technology to 175Mbps, but it increases the maximum number of devices that can be supported in the household from seven to fifteen

0 Likes
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1

The Firmware is almost identical between the 2 routers, differing only as needed to support the alternate chip-sets. Differences like the previously mentioned larger tables are good, but if the logs and tables are being overwhelmed on either router other issues should be addressed to find out why.

Similar examples of these 2 routers have been deployed to DSL customers side by side and the performance is on par, not much difference to most users.

The antenna configuration is an area where manufacturers alter their products significantly and actually may be the most helpful. One router might punch through the unique wireless radio interference of your home better than another.

0 Likes
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1
I think the Ethernet ports on the ONT are still capped at 100mbps, the MoCa connection on the other hand can sync up with a Verizon provided MoCa router at rates up to 250mbps.
0 Likes
Georgesc

Thx, they sent me a new actiontec to replace the westel so who knows why I got the westel to begin with!

My outstanding question is about the implied limit of 7 devices. I routinely have 7 to 10 devices up and running at one time between printers, xbox, clients and servers. Is that a problem?

0 Likes