Actiontec WCB3000N and G1100 upgrade
NJZman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I recently upgraded from 75 to gigabit FIOS, which changed the WAN connection on the G1100 from coax to ethernet.  Since the upgrade I've been unable to get the WCB3000N to work properly and extend the wireless network.  Any suggestions, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec WCB3000N and G1100 upgrade
NJZman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fixed!  I noticed that the LAN indicator light was not lit next to the coax line on the G1100.  I requested that the tech come back out to the house and sure enough he had improperly connected the new coax line from the G1100 to the ONT/splitters.  Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you leave the coax connected the G1100?  If not, put it back.

NJZman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, the tech connected the coax to the G1100 so the TVs would work, which they do. It seems since the upgrade that the coax isn't carrying the network signal anymore to the WCB3000N extender.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

WCB3000N has been end of life and end of support for many years. An upgrade is recommended. WCB6200Q is no good due to incompatibility. E3200 is more expensive.

You can buy an access point of your choice then use a MoCA adapter to uplink to the G1100.

NJZman
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, thank you.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though it's end of life, it shouldn't have stopped working when the ONT was upgraded and WAN switched to Ethernet.  It sounds like the coax connection to it got disconnected somewhere.  If that's the case, the current model of extender won't work, either.  Before you buy any new equipment, check all your coax connections and see if a cable was disconnected somewhere.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If not disconnected, another possibility could be an F connector that needs to be replaced. 🤔

NJZman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked the splitters on that coax run and they seem to be working.  However, that run is not getting data. The TV/STB reports no data connectivity but I can watch TV, without the guide, info, etc. The other TVs in the house are working properly.  I'm guessing the no data on that line is why the extender isn't working.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can the suspect STB be switched with another one to see if the problem stays at the particular TV or follows the STB? 🤔

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll 2nd Dexman's suggestion to move the STBs around to see if the problem is with the coax network or the box.

That said, the set-tops and the extender use the same data communication technology - MoCA.  MoCA operates with signals above the highest TV channel.  My best guess is something is preventing the MoCA signals from reaching that jack.  Do you have any filters or amplifiers installed in your coax network?  If so, remove them, as they can and do block MoCA signals.

You can also try moving the extender to coax jack with a working STB.  If it works there, that clearly tells us the 1st jack has a problem.