Actiontec WCB3000N
dsheth

I purchased the ActionTec WCB3000N to extend my network reach, as even though we live in a NYC apartment, the network doesn't extend far enough to stream video content to our television, which is about 25 feet from our router.  While the Power, Coax, 5G light is green and the 2.4 light is flashing green, I don't seem to have better coverage.   I tried connecting to my "[network name]-5G", but I still don't get better coverage.   Am I doing something wrong?   Should I just connect to "[my network name]" as opposed to "[network name]-5G", as both options exist.   In the past, I connected to the 5G but recently it stopped. 

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec WCB3000N
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Where is the WCB3000N located in relation to the TV and to your main router?

One thing to keep in mind about  2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz wifi is that while 5 GHz modes can provide faster speeds and are less subject to interference, 5 GHz is also worse at penetrating solid objects, especially like walls in a NYC apartment building.

Do you have coax feeding the TV for normal channels?  If so, and if your TV has an input for Ethernet in addition to wifi, you might be better off running Ethernet from one of the ports on the WCB3000N to the TV.  That would take wifi out of the equation completely.

0 Likes
dsheth

The WCB3000N is near my TV.  I do have a coax feeding into my TV.  That's not a bad solution for my TV.  I still need to connect other wireless devices though to the network at better speeds. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If the other devices are in the same room as the network extender, the 5 GHz connection should give you the best speeds.  Here's what I see on my iPhone when I'm connected to my 5 GHz network:

0 Likes
dsheth

Do I connect directly to "[NetworkExtenderName]-5G"?  When I do, it says "Connected" but I have no data being transmitted.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, connecting to the extender -5G SSID should work.

Do you see a NetworkExtenderName SSID without the -5G?  And, if so, if you connect to it do are you then able to connect to the Internet?

After thought:  Is you WCB3000N connect to the coax feeding your TV through a coax splitter?

0 Likes