Switch Account

Actiontec WI424WR - Limited Range

Actiontec WI424WR - Limited Range

Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 2
(5,090 Views)

The original D-Link router I was supplied 3 years ago when I originally signed up for FIOS service malfunctioned and I was sent the Actiontec WI424WR.  After proper installation and calling Technical Support more than twice, I can no longer use my laptop computers anywhere but in my office!  In other words, I might as well be connected to a wired, cable system.  Verizon has told me to go out and buy an "antenna".    Would any reasonable customer expect a wireless range of more than 10'???????  Does anyone have a solution to this problem or is the Actiontec WI424WR just so limited in it's capabilities that it is worthless? 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 2
(5,080 Views)

@HPY2006 wrote:

The original D-Link router I was supplied 3 years ago when I originally signed up for FIOS service malfunctioned and I was sent the Actiontec WI424WR.  After proper installation and calling Technical Support more than twice, I can no longer use my laptop computers anywhere but in my office!  In other words, I might as well be connected to a wired, cable system.  Verizon has told me to go out and buy an "antenna".    Would any reasonable customer expect a wireless range of more than 10'???????  Does anyone have a solution to this problem or is the Actiontec WI424WR just so limited in it's capabilities that it is worthless? 

I use the same router they have sent you. When I first had FIOS installed with Internet only, I too had a D-Link but without wireless. When I added TV they switched to the Actiontec Rev A and it has worked with my laptop three floors above the basement router location. I have just received a newer Actiontec due to some issues related to remote DVR and it also works the same. Even works from the Car out front. Most issues I think are related to interference. You can log into your router and try changing the wireless settings to lock it down to use a different channel. It could be a cordless phone or a neighbors router causing problems.
Message Edited by prisaz on 04-30-2009 10:10 PM
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.