Actiontec WI424WR - Limited Range
HPY2006

The original D-Link router I was supplied 3 years ago when I originally signed up for FIOS service malfunctioned and I was sent the Actiontec WI424WR.  After proper installation and calling Technical Support more than twice, I can no longer use my laptop computers anywhere but in my office!  In other words, I might as well be connected to a wired, cable system.  Verizon has told me to go out and buy an "antenna".    Would any reasonable customer expect a wireless range of more than 10'???????  Does anyone have a solution to this problem or is the Actiontec WI424WR just so limited in it's capabilities that it is worthless? 

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec WI424WR - Limited Range
prisaz
Legend

@HPY2006 wrote:

The original D-Link router I was supplied 3 years ago when I originally signed up for FIOS service malfunctioned and I was sent the Actiontec WI424WR.  After proper installation and calling Technical Support more than twice, I can no longer use my laptop computers anywhere but in my office!  In other words, I might as well be connected to a wired, cable system.  Verizon has told me to go out and buy an "antenna".    Would any reasonable customer expect a wireless range of more than 10'???????  Does anyone have a solution to this problem or is the Actiontec WI424WR just so limited in it's capabilities that it is worthless? 

I use the same router they have sent you. When I first had FIOS installed with Internet only, I too had a D-Link but without wireless. When I added TV they switched to the Actiontec Rev A and it has worked with my laptop three floors above the basement router location. I have just received a newer Actiontec due to some issues related to remote DVR and it also works the same. Even works from the Car out front. Most issues I think are related to interference. You can log into your router and try changing the wireless settings to lock it down to use a different channel. It could be a cordless phone or a neighbors router causing problems.
Message Edited by prisaz on 04-30-2009 10:10 PM
0 Likes