Actiontec Wifi Network Extenders vs MoCA Network Adapters?
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

What is the difference between Actiontec's Wifi Network Extenders and their MoCA Network Adapters?

I have their WCB3000N network extender, which I use to extend wired and wireless coverage to part of the house that the FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100 doesn't reach. I wanted to get another extender for another room, but saw that someone local is selling an Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA network adapter. 

I understand what the extenders do, but it's not clear to me how the network adapter is different.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec Wifi Network Extenders vs MoCA Network Adapters?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@m289 wrote:

I see.

My understanding is the Actiontec network extender works only with FIOS. Is that correct? If not correct, seems like you'd need some kind of device to interface between the coax wiring and the router.

It seems like the Actiontec network adapter would work with any internet service. Is that correct?

They will work with any router that has MoCA. If you wanted to use it with a non MoCA router you would need to wire it with ethernet from your router's LAN port. 

In your  case you will only need one ECB2500C since your G1100 can communicate with it over coax. If someone has a non MoCA router they need two. One at the router and one in the room where they want to connect. 

You might want to get another WCB3000N if you want wifi in the other room. If you get a ECB2500C you will also need some wireless AP to connect to it so you will have two devices instead of one.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@m289 wrote:

What is the difference between Actiontec's Wifi Network Extenders and their MoCA Network Adapters?

I have their WCB3000N network extender, which I use to extend wired and wireless coverage to part of the house that the FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100 doesn't reach. I wanted to get another extender for another room, but saw that someone local is selling an Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA network adapter. 

I understand what the extenders do, but it's not clear to me how the network adapter is different.

The ECB2500C is basically the same as your WCB3000N minus the wireless capability. For example if you had a room where you wanted to hardwire a device with ethernet and the room only has coax you could connect the ECB2500C to the coax. Then use the ethernet port to hardwire the device. 

TidalCloud
Enthusiast - Level 1

The 3000 has been replaced by the WCB 6200Q.  It is a Bonded Moca 2.0 extender.  It will allow you to extend your wired and wireless network utilizing the existing coax within the house.  The ECB 6200 is a Bonded Moca 2.0 network adapter that will get wired speeds to any room in the coax network ... provided another one is at the other end - just prior to coax distribution.  Basically - out from the router and into an ECB via lan cable then coax out of the ECB into the coax distribution panel.  Once that is done you can add an ECB to any room with a coax connection to bring wired into that room. Run a lan cable from that ECB into a gigabit switch and ... voila ... you have wired speeds into that room.  Assuming the wiring is up to snuff ... you should be able to get full speed ... as if the device was plugged directly into the router.  I presume you could then connect a wifi AP of your choice in order to extend your wifi utilizing a wired start speed rather than piggybacking off an already reduced wireless.  Of course ... the WCB unit has this capability built in.

m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see.

My understanding is the Actiontec network extender works only with FIOS. Is that correct? If not correct, seems like you'd need some kind of device to interface between the coax wiring and the router.

It seems like the Actiontec network adapter would work with any internet service. Is that correct?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@m289 wrote:

I see.

They will work with any router that has MoCA. If you wanted to use it with a non MoCA router you would need to wire it with ethernet from your router's LAN port. 

In your  case you will only need one ECB2500C since your G1100 can communicate with it over coax. If someone has a non MoCA router they need two. One at the router and one in the room where they want to connect. 

You might want to get another WCB3000N if you want wifi in the other room. If you get a ECB2500C you will also need some wireless AP to connect to it so you will have two devices instead of one.