Actiontec Wireless Signal next to none, your experience
Duxdad

I just had FIOS installed and they replaced my DSL modem with an Actiontec wireless router. Besides the real hassle of re-configuring my existing routers to work with the new Actiontec, I am getting a very very unacceptable wireless signal. Fifteen feet away ant it barely connects, never mind a room or two away as my D-Link DGL-4500 did with ease.

What has been your experience ??

They are sending me another but not sure if it will be better.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec Wireless Signal next to none, your experience
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In general, based on numerous comments in these forums, the signal strength of the ActionTec is not great and the antenna configuration doesn't seem conducive to a good coverage pattern.    I can reach my ActionTec from anywhere inside my house, but anything immediately outside my house is no longer reachable (such as on my deck).   I have had some success moving my router around and changing the antenna orientation -- paying particular attention to avoid being near large "solid" objects or large metal objects -- and by manually selecting the channel on which the router broadcasts.   

By far however, my best experience has come from disabling the wireless on the router and using a wireless access point (such as your Dlink in Lan to Lan connection mode with DHCP turned off) to carry the signal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In general, based on numerous comments in these forums, the signal strength of the ActionTec is not great and the antenna configuration doesn't seem conducive to a good coverage pattern.    I can reach my ActionTec from anywhere inside my house, but anything immediately outside my house is no longer reachable (such as on my deck).   I have had some success moving my router around and changing the antenna orientation -- paying particular attention to avoid being near large "solid" objects or large metal objects -- and by manually selecting the channel on which the router broadcasts.   

By far however, my best experience has come from disabling the wireless on the router and using a wireless access point (such as your Dlink in Lan to Lan connection mode with DHCP turned off) to carry the signal.

0 Likes
Duxdad

I guess I wil not bother with the new router and stick to what I have. I set up my DLink DGL 4500 and Dlink 615 as access points by turning off DHCP and setting the SSID to the same on both.. I had to add a switch to support the 4 ethernet wires I also run for my entertainment center and a wired desktop.

Thanks

0 Likes