Actiontec router not accepting new mac addresses
AlanR

I have the Actiontec MI424-WR Hardware revision D. I have put MAC addresses in the router before and all those devices are working fine.Now it seems I can't add any new addresses. I am using WEP 64/40.

Tried the powering it off deal, no luck. Anone know why this is happening?

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router not accepting new mac addresses
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

First an obligitory ... you really need to upgrade to at least WEP 128 but preferably WPA2.   Wep64 is very weak.  Additionally, understand that Mac address restriction is almost as much a myth as "turning off SSID broadcast" in terms of providing any additional security.     The first packet that traverses your network gives anyone who wants to spoof a device which is allowed on your network the information they need to defeat Mac locking.

In general Mac locking and SSID broadcast hiding provide no real security and just serve to make your life more difficult.

With that said ...

I've seen that happen and one way I managed to fix it was to turn off Mac locking and apply it.   Then come back and re-enable it and add the necessary systems.   Failing that, I've emptied the list, turned off the Mac locking, applied, and then re-enabled and added everyone back it.   A pain, but it worked.

Two other things I've occasionally missed myself:

1. New addresses get added to the bottom of the list initially (i.e. you may need to scroll the list box down).

2. After applying, I've seen the list order change -- so the Mac may move to somewhere in the middle of the list

3. Attempting to add an address twice doesn't work (i.e. make sure it's not already in the list).

Sounds silly, but I've done each of these myself at one time or another and kicked myself when I finally realized it.

Hope one of those works for you.

- ravioli alfredo (aka lasagna with a pasta identity crisis with a "cheesey" tag line)