Actiontech Gen2 - better interface?
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1
I do a lot of port forwarding through my current Actiontech router. I must say the interface is really difficult to use and manage. For example, there is no way to edit an existing rule - you must delete and re-add. Also, it inexplicably combines some rules by IP, but not always all. I am running the latest firmware. I have enjoyed much more intuitive and feature rich interfaces with other routers before this - but had to install this one when FIOS was installed. Is the Gen2 router any different? Or must I install a switch after the router and do it there?
0 Likes
Re: Actiontech Gen2 - better interface?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

For example, there is no way to edit an existing rule - you must delete and re-add.

Have you tried clicking on the little pencil rather than the red X ??

The pencil is edit the X delete  Both symbols appear at different levels in the PF rules where editting is allowed

Should add that I use a Westell 9100EM but am told the firmware is basically the same so would expct that you see the same as I do.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

SimonMason wrote:
Is the Gen2 router any different? Or must I install a switch after the router and do it there?

The Gen2 interface is the same.  You can't do port forwards in a switch.

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

I don't get the pencil.  I only get a column called Delete with a checkbox in it.  In some of the other configuration options the column is called Action and has other options.  I am pretty sure that this was the case in Port Forwarding until I upgraded to the most recent firmware and then this option was lost?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a Verizon Actiontec that you are using?

What rev level of the Actiontec are you using?

What Firmware level is loaded on the Actiontec - you can check the current version at Advanced, Firmware Upgrade.

Looking at the various Manuals for the different Actiontec Revisions and firmware upgrades it appears that they arbitarily added and removed the edit feature in port forwarding at different releases.  You could possibly find a formware release for your rev that would turn the feature back on.

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

I have a Actiontech MI424-WR Rev D router - provided by Verizon.

Firmware is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4.

Judging by my symptoms it looks like they did arbitrarily remove this option because I know I had it in the past.  However, I don't think I would go as far as to go backwards in the firmware for fear of introducing another issue.  While this is annoying, it is not the end of the world. 

In general this port forwarding interface is very poor.  I posted a message directly with Actiontech support - perhaps they will address it in a future version.  Or I could call Verizon and see if I can get a new router?  However, it appears that I might get the same router back?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I had a Rev D for a few of years. I had issues with it locking up and a reset would not fix it. I was sent a Gen 2 Rev E a while back. I was also told on the packing slip not to return the old router, and to recyle it it at my local electronics recycling location. I was able to get it to reset and start working, so I have a spare Rev D on the shelf. I guess it depends on how long you have had the router and what issues you are having. I am almost sure the Gen 2 takes care of the smaller NAT table. My daughter has been playing Xbox online since Christmas and I have not had any issues with online access with my other computing devices.

0 Likes