Actiontech MRI424WR - E Failure?
header30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a verizon internet customer since 1999 (DSL) and had FIOS installed two months ago.  It has worked great until two days when the internet connection became flakey to the point of unusability.   Most sites do not load (timeout), or partially load, load very slow, dns lookups fail, etc.  This includes major sites such as google, yahoo, boston.com.  Some sites work occasionally and I am posting to this site using the connection.  Also my OnDemand TV function does not work along wth some guide functions.

I have the same behavior on wireless, Ethernet, both PC (Windows XP) and Mac.  I have been frustrated by Verizon support with hour waits, callng back on the wrong number after giving explicit number to call back on.  Last night Verizon seemed to feel it was a switch issue.  Today the network tech failed to contact me.  I finally spoke to another 1st line tech who could not reach the 2nd level tech and and then finally decided to drop ship me a new MRI424WS.

Is  this type of general device failure possible? 

I have read through these forums and have not seen much that relates to my issue.  My MRI424WS is running with all default settings. 

Thanks,

Peter

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontech MRI424WR - E Failure?
header30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally got a call from a top notch Verizon tech.  Didn't believe the router was dead.   

Connected the router directly to the ONT with the same coax after the STB splitter.  Still no luck.   

Connected the router directly to ONT with a Ethernet cable and reset ONT.  Bingo, things start working. 

Get spare Coax and reconnect and reset ONT.  Things still working.  

Put everything back together and still working plus OnDemand working, 20.2 download test, etc.  Yes!

Looks like I had a bad or kinked Coax cable.  Spent an hour on the phone with KH from the Virgina office to get it resolved.  Very happy camper.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@header30 wrote:

Is  this type of general device failure possible? 

I have read through these forums and have not seen much that relates to my issue.  My MRI424WS is running with all default settings. 

Thanks,

Peter

Yes,  Many many posts here about flakey Actiontec routers.  General opinion appears to say they are nor very robust.  I assume you tried powering it off and then back on after a minute or so?

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Try using the new router when you recieve it, if issue persists call 1-888-553-1555 and If I am not wrong, a technician will be sent to your house to fix it.

0 Likes
header30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally got a call from a top notch Verizon tech.  Didn't believe the router was dead.   

Connected the router directly to the ONT with the same coax after the STB splitter.  Still no luck.   

Connected the router directly to ONT with a Ethernet cable and reset ONT.  Bingo, things start working. 

Get spare Coax and reconnect and reset ONT.  Things still working.  

Put everything back together and still working plus OnDemand working, 20.2 download test, etc.  Yes!

Looks like I had a bad or kinked Coax cable.  Spent an hour on the phone with KH from the Virgina office to get it resolved.  Very happy camper.

0 Likes