Actiontech MRI424WS router wireless problems with PS3
zdenneh
I'm having major issues with lag and keeping a stable connection while gaming wirelessly on my Playstation 3. I've seeked advice and tried just about everything. Fortunately, I am able to get a connection to PSN. The problem is I lag in every single Metal Gear Online game I play and I constantly get a message saying "connection is not stable" and it disconnects me from the host. I've got a static ip set for my ps3 (192.168.1.80) and I put it in the DMZ on the router settings. The ps3 shows the signal strength at around 85-100% consistently. I tried setting the routers firewall setting to "low" and setting "ssid broadcast" to "off" last night. I rebooted but haven't yet had a chance to test the system out. I'll try it out when I get home. Does anybody have any suggestions? Surely there is a FIOS tech out there who's a gamer and can solve this for me!
0 Likes
Re: Actiontech MRI424WS router wireless problems with PS3
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Do you have Verizon Fios TV servive? If you do not have TV service I would get a Ethernet connection from Verizon and switch to a different router. If you have TV service take out all the configurations you did to the router it is not needed. All you need is the SSID and WEP key for Playstation 3.
0 Likes
zdenneh
Thanks for the reply. I do not have FIOS TV service; I have DirecTV. Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing difficulty with my ps3 wireless connection. I'm mostly able to keep a connection to the network, but the lag is terrible and the games I've played frequently kick me out due to "unstable connection". I have FIOS 10mb/ 2mb. I noticed that the game Metal Gear Online has a network settings menu which I am able to adjust the maximum upload speed. If I adjust it to the lowest speed (96kps upload), I am able to play the game without getting disconnected. The game recommends 512kbps upload if in a "fast network such as fiber optic". Ha! It recommends at least 128kbps upload for smooth play, but suggests to adjust it lower if in a "slow network" and experiencing disconnects. If I adjust it to any speed higher than the lowest speed I get disconnected within 10-30 minutes. This leads me to the conclusion that I am experiening lag spikes from Verizon so severe I cannot consistently upload any faster than 96kps! I've thrown my hands up in the air on this and have decided to seek out a new internet service that can provide a stable wireless connection to a ps3.
Message Edited by zdenneh on 08-07-2008 11:30 AM
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I would have Verizon switch you to an Ethernet connection and use my own router. This should fix your trouble.
0 Likes
zdenneh
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. If I wanted to use ethernet I would just run an ethernet cable from the Actiontech router. I wouldn't need to have them switch me to ethernet or get me a new router. The Actiontech has 4 LAN ethernet slots in the back of it. The router and modem is installed in kitchen, about 30 ft from the ps3. I'm not going to run a 30 ft cord through the kitchen to the living room. The wireless connection to the ps3 has a pretty good signal (about 80%) but the speed is too unstable to game. I've been to busy to contact Verizon in the last couple days. I'll try them on Monday and see if I can actually get somebody on the phone who might be able to propose a solution. I shouldn't have to buy a new modem to use my ps3 online. I only need a steady 200-500 kbps to game online, which is really quite sad considering I pay for 10mb/2mb FIOS internet and fall short of that.
Message Edited by zdenneh on 08-08-2008 09:40 PM
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Switch to Ethernet from the ONT to your own router so that you can get rid of the ActionTec. It has a small NAT table and that is usually the cause of most of the troubles online gamers experience.
0 Likes
zdenneh
 Ah, ok, I see what you mean now. I'll look into it!
0 Likes
zdenneh

I think I might have fixed the problem. I called Verizon and the guy I spoke with said that the Actiontec does not support static ip addresses and that this was probably what was causing my connection to be unstable. I was using 192.168.1.80 as the static ip for my ps3. He recommended I go through the wireless settings in the ps3 and change it to Automatically find an ip. It chose 192.168.1.4. I then went and opened the DMZ for that ip and so far I'm gaming online with no issues!

0 Likes
dizzy0ny

I don't think this is true.  The ActionTek does support static IP.

I had issues with my PS3 wireless connection before assigning a static ip to my PS3.  After assigning a static IP and port forwarding the necessary ports for my PS3 and the game servers my games connect to for online play, i saw some improvment, but the big problem i have is inconsistency in the performance.  Some days i get 14/4 other days i get 7/1.  It's ridiculous...I still lag other gamers significantly it seem.  My router is only about 15 feet or so away from my PS3 in the next room.  I think the problem is the small nat table on the MI424wr.   I have yet to get much a positive response from verizon on this...i am certain they are trained to say it is not that...

I'm wondering if i should shell out the cash and get a better router...

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I read this in another forum, maybe it will help:

I had initial issues setting this up - wound up talking with both the FIOS people and the actiontec people. To get the PS3 working, I had to go into the actiontec router config file under firewall and enable port forwarding as follows:

TCP 443 -> 443
TCP 80 -> 80
TCP 5223 -> 5223
UDP 3478-3479 -> 3478-3479
UDP 3658 -> 3658

Then tie it in to the IP address of the PS3. On the PS3, I had to do a manual configuration of the IP settings with the DNS, 2dary DNS, and default router set to 192.168.1.1 and the ip address was the IP address of the ps3. Came right up after that.

0 Likes