Add Onhub to Fios Router MI424WR
kmac123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi 

Can anyone advise steps to connect a Google Onhub (tplink) to my Fios router MI424WR.

I am not very technical so want to keep this simple which probably means leaving Fios router in place but connecting Onhub to the Fios router via Lan cable. What steps do I need to perform ? and should I expect improved wifi speeds /coverage this way? I have read about releasing the dhcp lease but instructions are somewhat vague how to do this.

Also will be SSID settings (name + password) need to change as a result of doing this ? 

Thanks in advance 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Add Onhub to Fios Router MI424WR
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kmac123 wrote:

thanks 

I have a coax connection to router and FiOS TV so LAN it is 

i think i found the setting to turn off wireless in basic security settings - does that make sense

Yup. You are in the right place. This way there is no wireless interference from the MI424WR. Also if the OnHub has a "Router" mode and "Access Point" or AP mode you want to pick AP mode. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two questions, is internet provides to your MI424WR via coax or ethernet WAN port? Do you have FiOS TV? 

If you have an ethernet connection you can just get rid of the MI424WR by connecting directly to the OnHub's WAN port. 

If you have a coax connection to your router or have FiOS TV. It's probably best to connect the OnHub to the MI424WR. In that case you'll just connect the OnHub to the MI424WR's LAN port and setup the OnHub with the smartphone app. You also want to disable the MI424WR 's wifi by going to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. 

The OnHub will definitely provide you will better speed and coverage than the MI424WR. When setting up the OnHub it will most likely have a default SSID/PASSWORD but you will also be able to customize them if you like.

kmac123
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks 

i think i found the setting to turn off wireless in basic security settings - does that make sense

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kmac123 wrote:

thanks 

Yup. You are in the right place. This way there is no wireless interference from the MI424WR. Also if the OnHub has a "Router" mode and "Access Point" or AP mode you want to pick AP mode. 

kmac123
Enthusiast - Level 2

just to close this out  - i made the change and it is night and day  - between 2-3 times faster  - thanks