Adding Netgear Ethernet Switch to Fios ONT
Scraps66

Current network consists of the black ONT box from Verizon, the one that is actually two boxes tie-wrapped together.  It's not shown on the site as an available ONT, but Fios tells me I am up to date with my equipment.  The box has one ethernet port only which is connected to a Linksys Velop whole-house mesh router.  Three nodes.

We have been having latency and speed issues with wifi, particularly with a new PS5 in the basement.  The PS5 was connected to the basement node via ethernet cable.  I was told to plug the cable into the Fios ONT - but there is only that one port available and that is connected to the Velop.

So I bought a Netgear 5-port ethernet switch intending to plug that into the ONT where I would plug the PS5 cable into, and then also the first Velop node.  It didn't work, the PS5 ran crappy and I lost connection everywhere else.  I troubleshot ith Linksys and they tested me to have really slow internet speeds, like 327Mbps.  Then I got ahold of Fios support and ran through diagnostics today and the internet was working fine - without the switch installed.  So from my own research I see that maybe the Velop is not compatible with the Netgear switch.  I really don't know what else to do.  I'm afraid of trying the switch again and losing internet and the PS5.       

0 Likes
Re: Adding Netgear Ethernet Switch to Fios ONT
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For residential service, you only get one WAN IP. Adding a switch to the ONT data port would work for business customers who bought multiple public IPs. For residential customers, it is not permissible. You need an IP table or NAT (i.e. router) between the ONT and all your home devices. Can’t you hardwire your PS to the router’s LAN port? Can you give us a more detailed account of Velops?

Scraps66

I had the PS5 connected to the local Velop node and according to my son the speed was not good enough.  The Velop **bleep**.  It works OK, but the admin app doesn't work that well.  Primarily the parental controls **bleep** and don't work at all.  Setup wasn't easy but the connection has remained pretty robust.   

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have two goals here after all.

1)  You want better wired speed to the PS.

How much speed is the PS pulling right now? Can you test it? I am sorry that I am not a gamer and probably never touched a PS or Nintendo Switch (when some of my classmates say Nintendo Switch, I thought of an Ethernet switch...)

2) You want to impose parental controls on the PS.

I am not familiar with Linksys products but it sounds like the wired connection from Velops does not subject to parental control rules. My recommendation would be just buy a router with an access point built-in so not to waste the Velops' WiFi functionality.

General comments: Velops should have 802.11ac for wireless. 802.11ac should have a throughput of 300-400Mbps+ with 2 x 2 MIMO. This speed should be more than enough for gaming in 4k.

We might need some metrics here. When you say not fast enough, can you run speed tests using a wired computer and report the results here?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

For residential service, you only get one WAN IP. Adding a switch to the ONT data port would work for business customers who bought multiple public IPs. For residential customers, it is not permissible. You need an IP table or NAT (i.e. router) between the ONT and all your home devices.

Slight tiny correction. I point to and quote part of Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is? 

@lasagna wrote:

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms.   But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

^^^

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, this works too, but why do you want to separate the WAN side into two collision domains? You still cannot connect more than one hosts on the WAN side. You still need a router.