Adding a Netgear router to my Fios router to keep wifi cameras separate
paulizzi

Hi All, 

I have been looking through these message boards for something to help me because I just cant seem to get this to work.  I want to plug my netgear router into one of my FIOS LAN ports in order to create a separate wireless network strictly for my cameras and utilities (nest, ring etc).  I've noticed a lot of issues with my movie streaming since i've added the cameras and read this was the best way, but cant seem to get an internet connection when I follow other online instructions.  I have read that I need to create a static connection, but haven't been able to get it done.  I was following the below link.    

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-up-second-router-verizon-fios-60493.html 

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Michael

0 Likes
Re: Adding a Netgear router to my Fios router to keep wifi cameras separate
jonjones1
Legend

Don’t know what the website states but the Netgear must be in access point mode, then you must be using the Netgear WiFi to connect to your devices. Make sure WiFi is off on the Quantum router.

it really is quite easy.

0 Likes
paulizzi

Will I no longer be able to use the quantum WiFi after I finish the netgear setup? I wanted to have 2 separate WiFi access points.  Sorry not really tech savvy.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@paulizziwrote:

Will I no longer be able to use the quantum WiFi after I finish the netgear setup? I wanted to have 2 separate WiFi access points.  Sorry not really tech savvy.  

You could theoretically use both WiFi connections. But when you have two signals it will cause you endless problems. The Quantum router has terrible coverage. The Netgear has superior coverage. And it can handle endless connections where the crap router from Verizon (Greenwave) will be a huge disappointment.

use the Netgear. Disable the Quantum router WiFi and you will be much better off.

i use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and it blows everything else away.

Good Luck

0 Likes
maxx10101

I find this interesting.....do you use the router ID that is on the fios router still??

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@maxx1010 wrote:

I find this interesting.....do you use the router ID that is on the fios router still??

You are using two routers so each have different login names and passwords.

i answered your other post to place the Netgear into access point mode. Do that first.

you then access the Verizon router via typing in the 192.168.1.1 then login with Fios password and name. Go to wireless and select OFF for each section 2.4 Ghz 5 Ghz and guest network.

you then use the Netgear WiFi to handle the WiFi in your network. Since my Netgear has external antenna versus Fios router with internal antenna the Netgear blows it away.  To access the Netgear it’s http://routerlogin.net in the URL bar of your browser.

use the Netgear login name and password for the Netgear to make it function as you wish.

overlapping WiFi signal can be done but may cause interference if one of the routers are not set to different WiFi channels than the other. In example Fios router can be set for auto, and set Netgear to channel 11, or 256, etc. Netgear has better signal acquisition.

Good Luck

0 Likes