Adding a computer to my wireless service
Mar
I'd like to add another desktop to my wireless service.  I've purchased a "compact wireless-G usb adapter" by Linksys.  Will this work with my Fios service?  The package says that it's compatible with "Wireless-B or Wireless-G".  Since I am new to all this, I have no idea if this will work or not.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
Re: Adding a computer to my wireless service
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
That should work just fine.  Verizon's routers sendout wireless B and G....  If you are running Vista, maks sure it's compatable with the wireless card you've purchased.
0 Likes
Mar

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm running Windows XP, so I guess I'm okay.

I'm trying to find instructions on how exactly to add the Fios to my second computer, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Do you already have the wireless adapter installed on the other computer?

What router did you recieve from Verizon?  If you recieved the Actiontec, the SSID and Wep key are printed on a label on the side of the router.

From your Xp machine search for wireless connections, find the wireless network that matches your SSID....hit connect and enter in the password (Wep Key), then re-enter it and see if you connect.

0 Likes
Mar

All went fairly well, the only problem I have is that some site's graphics are not loading.  I guess that has to do with some kind of settings, but I haven't figured that out yet. 

I subscribed to Verizon's Internet Security Suite; is that coverage only for my first computer?

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Mar wrote:

I subscribed to Verizon's Internet Security Suite; is that coverage only for my first computer?

That I don't know.   You can try going to

https://activatemyfios.verizon.net/

Select "Configure additional PC or reinstall software"  And see if it wants to charge you I guess...anyways, that link will allow you to install the software.

0 Likes
brandonwills

yes it will work. any adapter will as long as it isn't just wireless N.

I used to have a linksys wireless adapter until I decided to go wired.

Just get the WEP and ESSID off the back of the router.

The wep is for the security key and ESSID is the network name, btw.

0 Likes
Mar
Thanks for all the help.  I'll check on the Security Suite in the next few days.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

My understanding about the VISS (Verizon Internet Security Suite) is that it is usable on up to three PC's (however it is not compatible with Vista 64 bit) (and not a MAC)

To load VISS onto your 2nd and 3rd PC you need to go to Verizon Central (verizon.net), log in there with your primary Verizon user ID (your 1st personalized email address @verizon.net) then, under the 'BILLING' heading located on the left side of the screen, look for 'Manage my Broadband Essentials and Extras'.  Go into there, where you will plainly see your Verizon purchases (the 'Essentials & Extras').  Once there, look for the 'active' purchase and go all the way over to the right side of the screen until you see 'ACCESS NOW'       click on that and the process to download and install it to your 2nd and\or 3rd PC will be started.

If you run into any issues with this process call Tech Support 1-888-553-1555.  After you confirm the telephone number for the account you are calling about, press zero ( 0 ) one time after any questions the automated system may ask you.  After the 3rd question you will be directed to tech support the fastest way possible.

Mar
Thanks so much, CJacobs!  I'll give it a try.  I appreciate the tip to get to help in the quickest manner; those telephone automated mazes are horrible--I always end up hanging up and having to start all over again! Smiley Sad
0 Likes