Adding a laptop wireless connection to Fios
KEN1612
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are currently using a Verizon MI424WR to connect our desktop to the internet. It is our intention to add a notebook pc. I understand that we must create a wireless network and have read SETUP available on MY VERIZON. I have two questions

1. The setup provides information for windows XP. I have windows 7 Home addition. Is there information specific to Windows 7 Home addition?

2. The setup instructions stated “ You should consider using the same operating system on all the computers connected to the network”. Does this mean that I should not consider a notebook with Windows7 Starter?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding a laptop wireless connection to Fios
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

The wireless network is already created by default.
You just need to add the laptop by setting the ssid and key base upon the info the installer gave you.  If youv'e forgotten that logon to the router (http://192.168.1.1) as user admin with password password or password1 or the serial number (on the back of the router) and modify the wireless setup to your own choice - I would suggest changing from WEP to WPA2

Good advice. Also, the default network name and password should be on the sticker on the bottom/side (depending on how you have it sitting) of your router.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KEN1612 wrote:

We are currently using a Verizon MI424WR to connect our desktop to the internet. It is our intention to add a notebook pc. I understand that we must create a wireless network and have read SETUP available on MY VERIZON. I have two questions

1. The setup provides information for windows XP. I have windows 7 Home addition. Is there information specific to Windows 7 Home addition?

2. The setup instructions stated “ You should consider using the same operating system on all the computers connected to the network”. Does this mean that I should not consider a notebook with Windows7 Starter?

You just need to add the laptop by setting the ssid and key base upon the info the installer gave you.  If youv'e forgotten that logon to the router (http://192.168.1.1) as user admin with password password or password1 or the serial number (on the back of the router) and modify the wireless setup to your own choice - I would suggest changing from WEP to WPA2

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

Good advice. Also, the default network name and password should be on the sticker on the bottom/side (depending on how you have it sitting) of your router.

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

You should not need to log into the router itself to simply connect a new computer to your existing wireless network.

The computer should prompt you stating a "Wireless Network is detected".  Click on it and enter the "Security Key" from the bottom of the router.  Smiley Wink