Adding a secound wireless actintec router
Cjghome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have acquired a second wireless fios actiontec wireless router...(tenants moving out and leaving it behnd)

I was wondering if it is possible of hooking it up to my exsisting Actiontec so I can add additional ports to hook up to...

1. Is it possible?

2. Do I need any special programming?

3. Will it conflict with the main Gateway/Router?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Adding a secound wireless actintec router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cjghome wrote:

I have acquired a second wireless fios actiontec wireless router...(tenants moving out and leaving it behnd)

I was wondering if it is possible of hooking it up to my exsisting Actiontec so I can add additional ports to hook up to...

1. Is it possible?

2. Do I need any special programming?

3. Will it conflict with the main Gateway/Router?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

#1 Yes, it is possible.

#3 It might, if it is not setup correctly.

#2 Someone will guide you though the steps to get done what you are trying to do. While I do not have a FIOS router provided by Verizon, I think I know what to do.

--

#1 In the first router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 If the router's DHCP range is 192.168.1 (2-254), change that so that it is 192.168.1 (100-254)

#3 Disconnect your computer from the first router and reconnect it to the second router.

#4 In the second router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#5 Make the DHCP range 192.168.1 (200-254)

#6 Change the LAN IP of the second router so that it is 192.168.1.6

#7 Disable the DHCP Server in the second router.

#8 Connect one LAN ports of the second router to one of the LAN ports of the first router.

#9 I believe you are done.

If you need any help following these steps, please post. As need be, make sure that the second router is not connected to the First router...

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As dslr is pointing out, you can make this work, my question however is "why?"

If you simply want more ports, just go online to the likes of Amazon or Buy.com and buy a cheap (less than $15) 5-port switch (key phrase -- switch).  These are zero configuration devices intended for exactly what you describe you want to do.   In the long run, this is a much simpler, less prone to error, and inexpensive solution.   You simply plug it in, connect any port to any of the LAN ports on your existing router and you're done.

Any of these would do the trick ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=5+port+switch&x...

The_Frog

I have a similar problem. the reason being that I have the main ONT arriving in the basement, a spliter has been intalled, and an ONT cable runs to the 3rd floor (our office), and another ONT cable runs into the media room on the !st floor.

Unfortunately no Ethernet cable runs in a similar way.

The router being on the 3rd floor (with Wifi), the signal is not really strong on teh 1st floor. (farily large house).

I would like to add a second WiFi router, in the media room, so I can direct connect the kids' PS3, our receiver for Pandora radio, ... so I will not be dependent on a weak WiFi on 1st floor, and secure strong signal in the entire house.

Can this work ? How can I do this ?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need a second router, you need a MoCA adapter.   Search fo ECB2200 on this forum and you'll find several threads where I describe how to do this.   It essentially extends an ethernet connection over the Coax network from your router using the cable plant that is already in place in the house (you can then attach any standard consumer grade switches, etc. to the adapter to attach multiple devices at the remove location).   It's a zero configuration device ... plug it in and as long as you're on the same cable plant as the Coax running into the router, you're good to go.

Re: Adding a secound computer to my wireless actintec router
meanjean3

I got an older computer fixed.  Now I have two.  I have wireless connection.  What do I need to do to hook up the other computer?

I have a laptop that works just fine.

0 Likes