Adding a wireless access point to a MI424WR router
jcutler121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a MI424WR router and I want to get better wireless connection and speeds in my house. I have WPA2 on and performance mode is also on. Would adding a wireless access point help and if so what should I look for in one?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Adding a wireless access point to a MI424WR router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There are a number of ways you can add another WAP.  If your Actiontec router is connected to your ONT by coax, and if you have coax running to another part of your house to feed a TV, an easy-to-use device that may help you is the Actiontec WCB300N network extender.

See this link for details:  https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

The device I'm referring to is the third link from the top, "FiOS Network Extender."

0 Likes
Re: Adding a wireless access point to a MI424WR router
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I've tried both the Access Point and Extender.  The Extender is a much better choice becuase it is dual-band (not single band like the router itself) and therefore provides essentially double the wireless speed.  It also has 2 Ethernet ports on the back so you can plug in a wired device if you like.  

Of course the Extender only works if you can connect it to your home network via coax cable.  But if you can it's essentially "Plug & Play" - just plug it in, let it synch itself with your router (this takes about 30 seconds) and it's ready to go.  No changes neeeded anywhere.

0 Likes