Adding access point
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just had Fios installed. I previously had DSL with a Linksys WRT54G2 router for my wireless. I was using a Linksys WAP54G connected to a switch to connect a printer and an MFC located in another room. Is there anyway to do a similar setup using the Actiontec router that Verizon installed for the Fios? Will I need to get a new access point or can I get the Linksys equipment to work? Linksys's manual claims it will only work with other Linksys devices.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding access point
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dwiener wrote:

Is there any access point that will bridge directly with the Verizon supplied router? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Actiontec ECB2200 MOCA adapter

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to make it work just the same way as it was working before.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@dwiener wrote:

I previously had DSL with a Linksys WRT54G2 router for my wireless. I was using a Linksys WAP54G connected to a switch to connect a printer and an MFC located in another room.

How were the WRT54G2 and WAP54G connected?

If they were connected via cat5, then you can connect the WAP54G to the Actiontec the same way.

If they were connected as a wireless bridge, then no, you can't bridge the WAP54G wirelessly to the Actiontec.

What you can do however, is connect the WRT54G2 to the Actiontec and keep the wireless bridge to WAP54G.

If you do that, you'll probably want to turn off the wireless in the Actiontec.

dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any access point that will bridge directly with the Verizon supplied router? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Previously the WAP54G was in the closet, connected to a switch to which I had a printer and an MFC connected. It was connected wirelessly as an access point / repeater to the Linksys router. Right now the Verizon router is connected directly to the printer and the MFC. I need to reconnect my desktop and NAS storage in the other room. There is a coax outlet next to that computer. Is there any device that could connect directly to the coax, and act like a switch for my other network devices.

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@dwiener wrote:

I previously had DSL with a Linksys WRT54G2 router for my wireless. I was using a Linksys WAP54G connected to a switch to connect a printer and an MFC located in another room.

How were the WRT54G2 and WAP54G connected?

If they were connected via cat5, then you can connect the WAP54G to the Actiontec the same way.

If they were connected as a wireless bridge, then no, you can't bridge the WAP54G wirelessly to the Actiontec.

What you can do however, is connect the WRT54G2 to the Actiontec and keep the wireless bridge to WAP54G.

If you do that, you'll probably want to turn off the wireless in the Actiontec.

0 Likes
Ebatts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Best bet is the run a CAT6 cable to the router. Data transfer will always be faster and more reliable with acable. And stay away from Netgear if you go Wireless bridge, as I have gone through 3 of them with nothing but problems.

0 Likes
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3
Running Cat6 is out of the question as I live in an apartment with concrete block walls.

@Ebatts wrote:

Best bet is the run a CAT6 cable to the router. Data transfer will always be faster and more reliable with acable. And stay away from Netgear if you go Wireless bridge, as I have gone through 3 of them with nothing but problems.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dwiener wrote:

Is there any access point that will bridge directly with the Verizon supplied router? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.

dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3
Will any other brands work? I came across the Trendnet TPA-311.

@viafax999 wrote:

@dwiener wrote:

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Will any other brands work? I came across the Trendnet TPA-311

Don't know.  Just know that this one is meant to be simplae to install and virtually foolproof.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The TPA-311 is a homePNA ITU-T G.9954 based device.   It will NOT work with the ActionTec router from Verizon which is a MoCA based device.    I'm not certain if it can co-exist on the coax with MoCA and/or QAM, but it definitely won't pair with the ActionTec.

Search for MoCA ethernet on Amazon or one of those e-tailers and you should find a number of compatible devices.

0 Likes