Adding an external HDD to my wireless network

Adding an external HDD to my wireless network

Highlighted
Contributor tropicaldanny
Contributor
Message 1 of 6
(12,021 Views)

Hi, I hope one of you can help. 

I have an external disk drive (Lacie 500GB d2 quadra), which I want to be able to access wirelessly from my lap-top (MacBook Pro) while connected to my network (I have the verizon 91000EM Router). This is because I have too many files to keep on my laptop, music and photos mainly. 

How can I do this? I saw the router has a USB port, do I just plug the external drive to that? or do I have to buy anything else to connect everything (like the apple airport or time-machine drive)?

any help would be appreciated.  thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Message 2 of 6
(12,004 Views)

You cannot add an external hard drive to the Verizon Router.  If you wish to do that you need to purchase a network attached storage device.  A few that I know of are by western digital or DLINK.  A friend of mine as the Dlink DNS-323 which allows dual drives which are mirroed to each other ( RAID controller) and the device also has a USB port for printer sharing.

Contributor tropicaldanny
Contributor
Message 3 of 6
(11,968 Views)

OK thanks, I guess i have to spend some more money on a network attached storage device. Smiley Happy 

Copper Contributor pamcphilly
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 6
(11,960 Views)

You can try this device from Addonics.  I read some reviews where it worked really well.  Haven't tried it myself though.  Much cheaper than buy a true NAS drive.

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I
Message 5 of 6
(11,953 Views)

I will 2nd the recommendation for the D-Link NAS Device.

I have the 321 and it has been trouble free.  I have 2 1.5TB Drives running in a Raid 1 Array.

I would have gotten the 323 but the price difference was to omuch at the time.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Contributor Pas
Contributor
Message 6 of 6
(11,038 Views)

Has anyone tried this Addonics product with success?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.