Adding another Ethernet port to a Moca ECB2500v Adapter
crownwire711

I have Verizon Fios internet and have a working connection when I hook my computer directly to my ECB2500v Adapter, but when I connect the ECB2500v adapter to a Netgear prosafe 5-port 10/100 desktop switch (FS105NA) in hopes of gaining extra Ethernet ports for xbox 360 etc; I loose the wired internet connection. Does anyone know a reason / solution to this? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Adding another Ethernet port to a Moca ECB2500v Adapter
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@crownwire71 wrote:

... have a working connection when I hook my computer directly to my ECB2500v Adapter ... when I connect the ECB2500v adapter to a Netgear prosafe 5-port 10/100 desktop switch (FS105NA) ... I loose the wired internet connection. Does anyone know a reason / solution to this? ...

There is no solution, but there is a reason.  You cannot connect the adapter to the switch in the usual sense of these words.  That is, the adapter cannot be in the network "behind" the switch, which is what you are implying based on what you have written.

However there is no reason that you cannot connect the switch to the adapter to gain more Ethernet ports.  Simply fit the adapter as before when it functioned properly, and then use an Ethernet cable from the adapter to the WAN port on the switch (if there is a separate WAN port).  You will be good to go.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

I have to disagree with armond_in_nj.  The FS105 is a straight switch.  There is no WAN port nor is there any concept of a "network behind the switch".  All ports of the switch are equivalent.  It's doesn't matter which port you connect to the ECB2200V or to the PC.

As to why this is not working, I can't tell you.  It should work. Does your computer have a gigabit NIC?  If so, you might try setting your NIC properties to 100Mbps full duplex manually rather than the default of auto-negotiate.  Sometimes auto-negotiation down from 1Gbps doesn't work properly.

Do you have any other wired connections to the router?  If so, as a test try placing the switch between the router and a device connected to the router.  If you have problems there, your switch is probably bad.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

I have to disagree with armond_in_nj.  The FS105 is a straight switch.  There is no WAN port nor is there any concept of a "network behind the switch".  All ports of the switch are equivalent.  It's doesn't matter which port you connect to the ECB2200V or to the PC ...  

I read the OP to mean what he wrote:  he tried to connect the adapter to the switch (somehow), rather than running the switch behind the adapter.  IOW, we are both suggesting that this should work properly if the adapter runs directly off the coax, and the switch is plugged in to the adapter.  If that's not the case, the switch is probably defective.

I suppose the OP will shortly enlighten us about such things.

0 Likes