Adding wireless router with Gigabit ethernet to a VDSL modem - any benefit?
rob01

I have a FIOS installation in a a multi-unit dwelling with a Zyxel Prestige 861 as VDSL modem and a Verizon-supplied MI424WR wireless router with 10/100Mbps ethernet ports.  The MI424WR that I have is manufactured by Actiontec.  

Apparently there is a model with the same number, but with Gigabit ethernet and wireless N:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=214#.UXclsrXvupJ

I have a couple of desktops attached to the ethernet ports on the wireless router in addition to multiple wireless devices (phone, tablet, etc).  The desktops have Gigabit ethernet (but connect at 100Mbps).  At times, the throughput is sluggish on multiple devices - definitely noticeable on the wired machines.  So I'm trying to see what the bottleneck is.  I realize that I'm not going to get Gigabit *internet*... VDSL is involved, but I'm trying to optimize where possible.

I am trying to determine:

1. Is there any performance benefit in updating the router to the one in the link, assuming that it is not possible to change the VDSL modem

2. Or is it possible to use a VDSL modem (such as http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CenturyLink---ADSL/VDSL-Modem-and-Wireless-N-Router-with-4-Port-Ethernet...) to provide both the modem and the wireless router functionality?

I am unsure of #2 because the Verizon-supplied wireless router has a coaxial connection to the cable jack in the wall.  I'm not totally sure what the point of the coaxial connection is if the network connectivity is coming through the RJ-45.

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding wireless router with Gigabit ethernet to a VDSL modem - any benefit?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No advantage outside your home network, but certainly an advantage for communication within your home.  Move or stream files faster between your devices.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No advantage outside your home network, but certainly an advantage for communication within your home.  Move or stream files faster between your devices.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rob01 wrote:

I am unsure of #2 because the Verizon-supplied wireless router has a coaxial connection to the cable jack in the wall.  I'm not totally sure what the point of the coaxial connection is if the network connectivity is coming through the RJ-45.

Do you have FiOS TV?  If so, the Actiontec router is serving as a bridge between the Ethenret WAN to the coax MoCA LAN used by the set-top boxes.

Enjoy!

0 Likes