Additional Gigabit Ethernet
Sydney20201
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I currently have a Gigabit ethernet feed from the Verizon ONT box to inside my house through the back of the house.  I want another Gigabit ethernet feed to go inside my garage.  Is this possible?  If yes, how much would it cost for installation?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Additional Gigabit Ethernet
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

If by chance you have a coax cable anywhere near the garage (maybe a cable box in an adjacent living room?) you can get a coax splitter, split that connection, and buy a moca adapter for $20-50 off amazon. This converts coax back to ethernet. Theres a few dependencies here:

You are using a FiOS router with MoCA/coax connected

or

Buy two moca adapters and attach one to ethernet and coax at your router, and the second to the split line running to your garage.

MoCA 2 adapters can do up to 500mbs, and MoCA 2 bonded adapters can do up to 1gbs. I believe MoCA 2.5 can do 2 or 2.5gbs, but that would exceed your internet speed anyway. It would only be useful if you have significant internal traffic, like an internal media server that feeds clients without needing to go out to the internet.

I've used MoCA adapters throughout my home to "hardware" endpoints and have been very pleased with them, and MoCA seems to tolerate a significant amount of splitting and varying cable qualities unlike gigabit ethernet. 

Keep in mind the cable run length limit for ethernet CAT6 is 328 feet. I'd imagine that's more than enough but still something to keep in mind when running your cable.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes . You will need to sign up for a second service. A second ONT would be required. 

Sydney20201
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you said "second service", do you mean a brand new Gigabit ethernet service line vs. splitting the source to provide two feeds?  Thanks

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry. I think maybe I misunderstood you. Are you talking about having a full 2 gigs at the house or just another LAN connection from your router?

Sydney20201
Enthusiast - Level 2

Need another ethernet/LAN connection inside the garage.  The Verizon box is outside

next to the garage.  Basically what I'm asking is can the Verizon Gigabit ethernet line

from outside be splitted?  If yes, will that degrade my internet speed through the outside?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh ok, I got you. Not really. The ONT has to connect to the router's WAN port. Then run an ethernet from the router's LAN port back to the garage. If you have coax near the router and near the garage you could possibly use a MoCA adapter. 

Another option would be to move the router to the garage and put an extender where the router is now.

Sydney20201
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah... I have been thinking about running a straight ethernet cable from the router to the garage.  I was trying to avoid fishing wires through the walls.  The router is currently located on one side of the side and the garage is on the other side.  If I really want to do this work, yes I can.  

I was looking at something like the TP-LINK AV2000 Powerline ethernet.  Was wondering if you (or anyone) have experience with this?  It claims to be a 2Gbps max.  Obviously no one is going to get that speed.  Is this a good alternative?  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a good alternative. I never personally used one , but they seem to be hit or miss from what people say on here. I would give it a try to see how it works. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the ONT is next to the garage ... 

Move the router to the garage and use a short length of ethernet cable to connect the WAN side of the router to the ONT in place of the current connection.   Then pull the ethernet present running to the inside of your house (or extended it with a couple and a second piece of ethernet cable) and connect it to the LAN port of the router now located in your garage.   Install a second router in "access point" mode in the former location of the router.

Sydney20201
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's actually a good idea. However, to accomplish that, I now need to drill two holes near the ONT into my garage.  My existing gigabit ethernet runs from the ONT outside around the house into my home office on the other side of the house.

When I initially posted this question, I was hoping the gigabit ethernet source could be splitted and I would only need a short 6' ft ethernet go inside my garage near the ONT.  Then I'd have accomplished what I wanted.

With no good options right now, I am just going to run a straight ethernet line from existing router to the garage.