Advanced Filtering on New Quantum Router
tskkk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unlike the old actiontech router, the new quantum router has seems to have no way for advanced filtering.  How do I adjust the advanced filtering settings?  I have a VoIP line the router is interfearing with.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: soha.eido
jonjones1
Legend

@itahmed wrote:

So I have upgraded to the 1gig up\down but also need the advanced filtering. I have had to revert back to the old modem. 

I have given up on verizon getting advanced filtering to be included in the quantum routers.  The question is, do you know what other routers offer advanced fitlering that are able to give me great performance, rich features, fast, reliable, and offer great WiFi range as well?

Please list ones you know offer advanced filtering as I am not finding many that do.

This is an older thread, but any high end router (or cheaper) has advanced settings albeit advanced filtering may be/not be included. do a google search to find out prior to shelling out higher money.

D-Link and Nortons and Westell and of curse both Verizon Routers and TP Link are all listed when I just did a quick search on http://www.google.com 

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Advanced Filtering on New Quantum Router
chardver

I also have this issue. Advanced filtering was on my previous Verizon router, so where is it in the G1100? I'd like to be able to restrict access to a port forwarding rule instead of having it open to the world. In the previous router I did this with a port forwarding rule and an advanced filtering rule specifying the IP I wanted to let in.

0 Likes
chardver

I just spent about an hour and a half trying to explain my issue and the Verizon tech connected me with the Quantum router tech. He informed me that currently there is no way to restrict inbound access to a port forwarding rule. He said, its possible that the feature may be added via a firmware update in the future but could not give me a date or even when to expect one. The Verizon tech said he would call me back in 24 hours with any information he could gather but I may end up switching back to the Actiontec MI424WR Rev1 as it still supports 75/75 and the features I use. I open an SSH tunnel from work to a PC on my internal network at home for testing purposes and I don't want every IP on the Internet to have access. I'll update this post when I hear from the verizon tech tomorrow.

0 Likes
tskkk
Enthusiast - Level 2

i ended up switching back to the actiontech gigaE rev.i router  i guess it has gigabyte switching   i dont care about the quantoms g-1100 wireless range or the zwave as the unit is in the basement and inwoild never sign upfor verizon home automation  

any idea  how the actiontech mi424wr rev.i compairs speed wise to the g-1100?

0 Likes
chardver

I heard back from the Verizon tech and they told me that a firmware update will be released before the 27th of this month that should address the missing features. (hopefully Advanced Filtering)

0 Likes
chardver

Still no Advanced Filtering.....

0 Likes
chardver

Spent another hour on the phone with Verizon trying to make headway on this issue. Its like beating a dead horse. Even the G1100 tech could not understand that port forwarding alone will NOT restrict the source IP from the Internet. It must be in conjunction with advanced filtering which the G1100 does NOT have.

Basically, if you have an Actiontec router and use advanced filtering, DO NOT go to the G1100 as it does not have Advanced filtering and you can't make them understand why its needed.

0 Likes
LargeHardware

I have found that if I connect an end point (computer) that has been previously configured on Quantum but does not match the current configuration it will disrupt the current configuration and make any number of unpredictable changes.  It seems that when I do a reset and the network re-configures itself any device previously connected but not present when I did a reset need to have all previous Quantum network user profiles deleted before it is connected again.

0 Likes
LargeHardware

Somehow I was returned to the wrong thread after I created a new user account for this forum.  Basically my problem is the same and related.  This Quantum router is not under my control. There are endless configuration problems that I  cannot overcome because access is restricted.  I wish I would have read in these forums before I switched over to this device.

It's like gun control and many other issues.  A few people mess up so the institutional answer is take it away from everyone.

0 Likes
TonyPh12345
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ditto here.  The absence of advanced filtering is a tremendous omission.  

Yes, there a quite a few enhancements to the G1100 that makes it better than the MI-424WRs, but the lack of filtering capability outweighs all of that...

For some reason, when I upgraded to 75/75, despite the agent telling me "there's no need to replace your hardware," they've sent me not one but TWO of these.

I'm afraid if I don't send my 424 back, they'll start billing me, and I don't know what will happen if I just send back the 1100's instead...