Customers With Disabilities

quick menu

Advanced Routing using Verizon MI424WR router and a second router.

Advanced Routing using Verizon MI424WR router and a second router.

jucytec
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(7,418 Views)

I'm trying to achieve the following and have been unsucessful, I'm hoping someone has already done this...

I have a Verizon MI424WR which is using Coax for incoming internet.

AND...

I have a Non-Verizon provided D-Link router that has Wireless-N I'd like to use.

I would like to have Verizon MI424WR connected to my D-Link and use the DHCP on the D-Link Only.  I've tried enabling a DMZ on Verizon MI424WR and linking it to my WAN port on D-Link without any success. 

Anyone have any idea how to set this up?

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DMZ Pass Through) -> D-Link (DHCP to Home Network).

If this is not possible I'd like to setup:

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DHCP) -> D-Link (DHCP Disabled/Used as WAP and a Switch)

When I tried the above the DLink was NOT getting an IP Assignment from MI424WR.

2 REPLIES
Silver Contributor IV
Message 2 of 3
(7,381 Views)

jucytec wrote:

I'm trying to achieve the following and have been unsucessful, I'm hoping someone has already done this...

AND...

I have a Non-Verizon provided D-Link router that has Wireless-N I'd like to use.

I would like to have Verizon MI424WR connected to my D-Link and use the DHCP on the D-Link Only.  I've tried enabling a DMZ on Verizon MI424WR and linking it to my WAN port on D-Link without any success. 

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DMZ Pass Through) -> D-Link (DHCP to Home Network).

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DHCP) -> D-Link (DHCP Disabled/Used as WAP and a Switch)

There are some trade-offs to each of these configurations.  You should review the following FAQ:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

DMZ is option #2 in that FAQ.

WAP is option #3, which includes a link to a step by step walk-through.

Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II
Device: Chromecast Roku TV
Plan: Digital Voice, 75/75
Message 3 of 3
(7,365 Views)

jucytec wrote:

AND...

Connect a machine standalone to the dlink router and logon to the admin site.

Change the subnet for the dlink to 192.168.2.1 and make it a static address 192.168.1.254.

Connect as admin to the actiontec and remove address 254 from the dhcp assigments

Connect a lan port of the Actiontec to the wan port of the dlink.

connect all your workstations to the dlink.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Check Email
  • Add or Change Services
  • Suspend My Service
  • Manage Services

Support

Watch Fios