Advice Request: New Gigabit FIOS (Overcharged/Underspeed)
afoolishmoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, I just got gigabit FIOS and the experience was very bad. The install alone took hours, because they kept saying it was enabled when it wasn't.

Finally, it was enabled. Installer had me register an account (which I thought I'd already did when I ordered service). Later, when I check my account I noticed my bill is $50 higher than the qoute I recieved in my e-mail.

Additionally, wired to my router (gigabit router) with a computer with a gigabit NIC, I only recieve about 300 down and 300 up. Around a third of what I expected.

Is this typical? I don't know what to do. Support has been unhelpful. I can't find any e-mail addresses. All-in-all I'm starting to regret this decision. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Advice Request: New Gigabit FIOS (Overcharged/Underspeed)
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where are you testing speed?

Verizon only accepts speed tests to speedtest.verizon.net

If that does not give you the proper speeds, I have found support via twitter to be helpful @verizonsupport

afoolishmoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used Verizon's speed test. I've tried Google and Ookla as well to be safe. Updated my router's firmware as well. Also attempted the test from a Dell PowerEdge with an assuredly gigabit NIC (four GB NICs in fact). 

I've been engaging on their Twitter, but I keep getting shuffled off to different people and the billing issue keeps being misunderstood. The billing issue is my largest concern right now, I can live with 300/300 if I have to. The invoice was reissued durring the install, with the same order #. So whenever they look it up they see the reissue.

I'm trying to find out why it was reissued WHILE services were being installed. It really feels like a rope-a-dope situation. I had no chance to change or cancel the install.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

When you had gigabyte installed were or are you a new customer?

if new customer you can cancel with no penalty within 30 days of install.

You did not say what service such as internet only? Internet & TV? Or Internet &TV & Phone? Pricing is based on what service you elected to have.

usually there is around 24-48 hours until the local CO has you up to provisioned speeds of up to 940/880 but if you call 1-800-VERIZON they can test your service and if not correct can either reset from their location or send someone out.

a good trick to try is unplug your router and turn off your computer that is connected via ethernet to the router. First turn on the router and let it fully boot up. Then turn on your computer and and make sure that is fully operational. Then go to https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

and run the test again.