Advice needed on possible new FIOS installation
legomena

I currently have Verizon fixed-line telephone and DSL internet service.  FIOS is available in my neighborhood and I am considering having it installed.

My house has no ethernet cabling.  I do not have cable TV service but there is an old coaxial line installed by a prior owner that emerges from the basement through a hole in the living room floor.

My study, and my computer, are on the second floor.  Because of the way furniture is positioned in the room, fishing an ethernet line through the wall and creating an outlet within range of the computer desk would be a very substantial hassle.  Not impossible, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

What are my options?  Can a wireless router be connected to the coax cable in the corner of the living room with some sort of wireless adapter installed on my desktop computer upstairs, or are there reasons why that would be a bad idea?

If fishing an ethernet line is really the best option, is that something that the Verizon technician can do, or would I need to engage an independent contractor?

Would be grateful for any and all advice - thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Advice needed on possible new FIOS installation
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the coax cable is decent and connected together (as opposed to terminating in the wall "somewhere'), a MoCA coax to Ethernet converter might also work. I can't find those on Verizon's FiOS accessory page anymore. I think it's either the ActionTec ECB2500C or the ECB6000 depending on the MoCA compatibility of the equipment you get.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@legomena wrote:

I currently have Verizon fixed-line telephone and DSL internet service.  FIOS is available in my neighborhood and I am considering having it installed.

My house has no ethernet cabling.  I do not have cable TV service but there is an old coaxial line installed by a prior owner that emerges from the basement through a hole in the living room floor.

My study, and my computer, are on the second floor.  Because of the way furniture is positioned in the room, fishing an ethernet line through the wall and creating an outlet within range of the computer desk would be a very substantial hassle.  Not impossible, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

What are my options?  Can a wireless router be connected to the coax cable in the corner of the living room with some sort of wireless adapter installed on my desktop computer upstairs, or are there reasons why that would be a bad idea?

If fishing an ethernet line is really the best option, is that something that the Verizon technician can do, or would I need to engage an independent contractor?

Would be grateful for any and all advice - thanks!

Depending on what services you are purchasing once an ont is installed in your cellar depending on the construction of your house you could just have your Fios router installed in the cellar, then you can either run Ethernet line (which I think the installer will do if you are really nice to him/her) to the second floor or Ethernet from the ont to your system on the second floor. If the devices need just wireless it may be possible to have a good wifi signal from the basement.

personally I would have the ont Ethernet to the second floor then hook the router to it and make sure it's functional. If all is set you can use the ports on the router for direct connect of devices and turn on your wifi for other devices.

ethernet can also be run from the outside without wall drilling, floor drilling etc.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the coax cable is decent and connected together (as opposed to terminating in the wall "somewhere'), a MoCA coax to Ethernet converter might also work. I can't find those on Verizon's FiOS accessory page anymore. I think it's either the ActionTec ECB2500C or the ECB6000 depending on the MoCA compatibility of the equipment you get.

legomena

Thanks for weighing in!

Depending on what services you are purchasing...

FWIW, if I do this I'll be purchasing only phone and web service, no TV.  My bandwidth requirements are pretty modest.

If the devices need just wireless it may be possible to have a good wifi signal from the basement.

That would be least disruptive if I could make it work.

...personally I would have the ont Ethernet to the second floor...ethernet can also be run from the outside without wall drilling, floor drilling etc.

Unfortunately, the bigger part of the hassle would be in the room, so I'd still face that even if the cable is strung up the outside of the house and drilled through the wall from there.

Good Luck

Thank you!

0 Likes
legomena

@Capricorn1 wrote:

Thanks, will look into that as well.

0 Likes
Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is worthwhile to try to run an Ethernet wire. Think of drilling holes in clostes or via attic spaces. Even outside as outdoor type Ethernet patch cables are available such as on Monoprice or even amazon.  Even buying the best cables Cat 6 is only a few dollarsmore than Cat 5e. Much better than just relying on WIFI. There may be Youtube videos on that topic. I have my whole house Ethernet wired - 2 floors plus basement.

0 Likes