Advice on New Router Purchase
HarleyDog
Enthusiast - Level 2

My FiOS internet is connected to the Verizon router using Cat5 from the ONT.

I do not have FiOS TV at the moment. If I decide to get FiOS TV I will be using a TiVO STB with CableCard. I believe that I won't need the Verizon router with FiOS TV/TiVO because the program guide will come from TiVO and I don't care about VOD.

I would like to purchase my own router (perhaps a Cisco for Small Business/formerly Linksys), plus a separate 24-port managed switch with Power over Ethernet, and a wireless access point. 

My house has several computers (4), IP security cameras, lots of audio video gear that have LAN access ports, and some home automation products to control lighting and HVAC etc. That's the reason for the 24-port switch. I'll be setting up a VPN and using port forwarding to access my home remotely to view the security cameras and to operate some of the home automation features of the house. 

I just want to make sure that I get a router that will support the high speed Internet connection that I get from FiOS (currently 20/5) and I'm unclear as to what spec I need to look for in a router. Can anybody here recommend a router model number that will work best with FiOS?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Advice on New Router Purchase
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@HarleyDog wrote:

My FiOS internet is connected to the Verizon router using Cat5 from the ONT.

I do not have FiOS TV at the moment. If I decide to get FiOS TV I will be using a TiVO STB with CableCard. I believe that I won't need the Verizon router with FiOS TV/TiVO because the program guide will come from TiVO and I don't care about VOD.

I would like to purchase my own router (perhaps a Cisco for Small Business/formerly Linksys), plus a separate 24-port managed switch with Power over Ethernet, and a wireless access point. 

My house has several computers (4), IP security cameras, lots of audio video gear that have LAN access ports, and some home automation products to control lighting and HVAC etc. That's the reason for the 24-port switch. I'll be setting up a VPN and using port forwarding to access my home remotely to view the security cameras and to operate some of the home automation features of the house. 

I just want to make sure that I get a router that will support the high speed Internet connection that I get from FiOS (currently 20/5) and I'm unclear as to what spec I need to look for in a router. Can anybody here recommend a router model number that will work best with FiOS?

Thanks!

Any router currently on the market will be fine with fios.

since you have so many internal devices, if you are going to be doing internal networking. I would recommend an N class router. Otherwise anything you choose will work fine.

0 Likes
pjkiernan

The apple 'n' router is great....However it does not have a coax connection, so you can just bridge this connection to the router verzion gives you, disable the wireless on the verizon router/modem, and us the apple wirless...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pjkiernan wrote:

The apple 'n' router is great....However it does not have a coax connection, so you can just bridge this connection to the router verzion gives you, disable the wireless on the verizon router/modem, and us the apple wirless...

That is correct.

Points the OP (person who started this thread) to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

^

0 Likes